Trading: Exhausting!!

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by kmiklas, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Well Handle, exactly what is it that you have contracted ?

#21     Aug 11, 2016
  2. drcha

drcha

I don't set the early alarm any more. As your trading evolves, it will get easier.

#22     Aug 11, 2016
  3. sprstpd

sprstpd

I am not arguing with you about the benefits of movement and exercise. However, you said:

Just because you are standing (versus sitting), makes no difference to your health (assuming you are not moving). These standing workstations are a complete waste of money - another industry that has sprung up without any evidence that it needs to exist.

#23     Aug 12, 2016
  4. I workout regularly, and it keeps me sharp, persistent, and disciplined, but without sufficient brainpower and proper method, it doesn't mean shit. I talk to dumb jocks who struggle financially everyday at the gym.

#24     Aug 12, 2016
    masterm1ne, kmiklas and K-Pia like this.
  5. birzos

birzos

Look at Olympic rowers, they spend years training for a few minutes. It's in those few minutes and especially the last 250m that separate the champions from the rest. That's trading, you train for the few minutes or even seconds for trade entry and trade exit, it's the bell curve.

The stress is lack of confidence, the hardest thing is to make something difficult look simple, the easiest is to make something simple look difficult. Algorithms do not take in to account the complexities of human nature, there are too many combinations. Even if you code one it will probably be invalid an hour, a day, a week later so need constant adjustment. It's the same workload just in a different way.

Even when you are at the top you still have to work incredibly hard, but as you have the confidence it looks easy to everyone else. Or just become a service provider.

#25     Aug 12, 2016
    qxr1011 likes this.
  6. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Standing workstations does not imply you stand up and be still like a statue (no movement). The name implies that when you stand up...you'll most likely have "more movement" and most likely "improved posture" in comparison to sitting down while doing the exact same work.

The issue as you noted is the "lack of movement". People can stand up and have "lack of movement" and still develop health problems.

In fact, the first standing workstations that I ever saw advertised was for people that had "severe" back problems and they were not able to sit down or sit down and pivot their shoulders (left to right or right to left) while their hips didn't move because of the chair they were sitting down in.

A year after that I was visiting a firm in Toronto and then visiting a financial news TV network of the TSE...I notice they had "standing workstations" for some people. Every one of them said it improved their circulation, more productive and other benefits after they developed those problems prior to standing. I saw this before the research (good and bad).

I then tried it myself because I already had an existing bad back problem. In fact, my standing workstation I didn't have to spend a penny because I had an unused old adjustable desk that was given to me by an architecture pal that no longer had any use for the table. Results after a year, I lost 10 pounds, I didn't feel exhausted after a stressful day of trading and improved heart rate. Heck, even my digestive system improved greatly...no more stomach cramps after eating lunch while sitting down.

Yet, a big issue. There was no change in the foods I ate (I've also been a healthy eater) and no change in my exercise habits which has always been good. The only change was that I went from 7 hours per day of sitting down at a desk to only 1 1/2 hours of sitting at a desk.

The best benefit for me, I use to have bad back problems due to an old sports injury. Back would go out about 3 - 4 times per year. Since I've reduced dramatically my time in a chair while trading...I have a stronger back and it been about 2 years since I've had any kind of back problems while my friends warned me I would have "more" back problems (that was many years ago and I've still not have any bad problems like I use to).

Note: I did injure my back again a few years back when I was hit from behind by someone riding their mountain bike down a hill on a public hiking trail and not paying attention...resulting in them losing control. I wasn't able to sit down for more than 10 minutes without extreme pain for a few weeks. Yet, I was able to stand up for about an hour or so before the pain arrived...allowing me to get some work done.

I also notice that I "tend" to move around more than when I was sitting down. Therefore, maybe there's a psychological reason for such that's very similar to an improved health...we tend to have "more movement" when we're healthy.

Seriously, when I notice the change in my health...I also notice I was using the stairs more instead of the escalator after about a year with a standing workstation.

As for your issue, you seem to have an issue with the cost via your your "waste of money" commentary. In contrast, I believe anyone with an imagination can make their own "standing workstation". A friend of mine did such out of 16 crates, tie wraps and an old wood top...all found at two garage sales for a total price of $65. He already had hammer, nails, sandpaper and paint. :D

Simply, standing workstations are "low risk and low cost". Don't be scare to try it.

Same with flossing your teeth...recent research say its not needed...its a scam. If it gets the food out from between your teeth so that your spouse may enjoy kissing you...I say use it. It's "low risk and low cost" and people you're having a conversation with or kissing...they'll enjoy it more when there's not any food sticking out between your teeth. :sneaky:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    #26     Aug 12, 2016
  7. mlawson71

mlawson71

Regarding trading, of course it's exhausting. Any activity that requires extensive mental exercise like Forex trading does is exhausting. It's exhausting, frustrating, and occasionally very rewarding.

#27     Aug 12, 2016
  8. SunTrader

SunTrader

Then you need to get out more.

#28     Aug 13, 2016
  9. Andrea Wylan

Andrea Wylan Sponsor

I have my best trading days when I review the market, set alerts and don't jump in too soon (not always easy for me!) and take just one or two trades. It often seems the longer I am in the market, the less focus I have and the more chance to lose money. This might just be me. . . I like to "dip" in for a few trades and leave. When I sit there all day, I am exhausted too!

#29     Aug 13, 2016
    fordewind likes this.
  10. ken__0

ken__0

Yes sir.

#30     Aug 13, 2016