Trading: Exhausting!!

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by kmiklas, Aug 10, 2016.

1. marsman

marsman

If you have made enough money then you can hire someone for the routine jobs/tasks...

#11     Aug 10, 2016
  2. kmiklas

kmiklas

No, I don't know all the platforms. I stick to what I know: C++ on UNIX/Linux/Mac (Maybe C++ on Windows), Interactive Brokers, and JavaScript/front-end work.

#12     Aug 10, 2016
  3. userque

userque

This is why I developed an algo that enters/exits [...generates signals for...] an etf pair at the close. 0-2 trades max per day per instrument. I can scale up by adding more eft pairs.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    #13     Aug 10, 2016
    Baron likes this.
  4. CALLumbus

CALLumbus

Hi kmiklas,

maybe less is more ? I was in a similar situation, but I learned that I dont have to trade all day long to make good money. I dont know your style, but 80% of my good trades happen during the opening of the equity markets (1st hour).
    So what I do now is to really focus on the european equities opening (9:00am Frankfurt time). I really focus for about 1 hour, then I do whatever I want. If I feel like it, I do more trading, if not, I do something else. Later in the afternoon I come back for the US opening (15:30 NY time) and trade for about 30 more minutes. After that, my trading day is usually done.

So on average I really focus on trading for 1-2 hours per day. My results are better than in the past when I tried to make good trades all day long. And I have much more fun with my trading now.

Many possible ways to make money in the markets. If you want to stay with this long term, I think you should find a way that you enjoy what you do. Otherwise you probably wont be able to stick to it or you will maybe not be able to perform as good as you would with something you really enjoy.

Greetings,
    CALLumbus

#14     Aug 11, 2016
    comagnum likes this.
  5. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

I don't know what your age is or your health and mental condition...

Yet, do not underestimate one variable such as "stress management". Thus, ensure you're eating healthy during the trading day. A light exercise routine because I've recently seen a heavy duty research study that consistently sitting down for long periods to do computer work is dangerous (they didn't use the word bad...they said dangerous) for your health resulting in low energy levels, less blood/oxygen for the brain, muscle degeneration, circulation problems in your legs, increased risks of different types of cancers by 50%, heart disease, depression, mood swings and many other problems such as problems with your sleep habits.

I always recommend to traders that they should do a annual complete physical and I'm not talking about those types of physicals where doctors ask you how you feel and they only check your pulse rate. I'm talking about blood work, urine analysis, stress tests...the whole nine yards...then do it once every year if you're young and twice per year if you're over 50 years of age.

Therefore, its highly recommend you do a light exercise routine for 10 minutes for every hour of sitting down...a light exercise that requires you to stand up. In fact, if you're not the exercise type of a person...change your office workspace so that you do your trading while standing up.

There's a ton of cool computer standing workstations on the market and it will make a difference in your physical health, mental health that includes you feeling energetic after a long day of trading instead feeling the need to rest or sleep after the closing bell.

Stress kills or makes you feel like something is mentally wrong. You better quickly learn how to manage it though proper exercise, healthy eating during your trading day especially if you want to trade for a living.

The key is not the exercise you do before the opening bell and the exercise you do after the bell. Instead, its what you do during your trading day.

Do not sit at your trading desk all day (from open to close)...getting up every hour to go do a little walk to get a 1/2 glass of water is extremely helpful all by itself.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    #15     Aug 11, 2016
  6. AbbotAle

AbbotAle

That's why you have to go down to the gym 5 days a week (40 mins, 20m cardio, 20m weights) and get MINIMUM 8 hours sleep a night.

Proper trading is NOT a career, it's a LIFESTYLE.

No different from pro sports, everything you do 24hours a day has to be complementary to your game.

If you don't do the above or similar, guess what - your competitors are so how can you compete with them over a period of time? Basically you can't. Always exceptions to the rule but not many.

#16     Aug 11, 2016
  7. qxr1011

qxr1011

You will get use to that

I remember my first few month in the army: at 10 pm all of us, new soldiers, were dead asleep in the bed , unable to move the muscle. While the old-timers, who worked considerably more than us, were still doing something, some of them planning to spend a night with hookers, some of them drinking, some of them playing cards or watching TV, etc etc and by 6 am next morning they were up and running, while we could hardly to wake up... We were looking at them in disbelieve - we could not understand how can they do that, where the got the strength from...?

A year passed and it was us who were spending sleepless nights - fucking around, drinking, playing, fighting, while the next generation of newcomers were dead asleep after theirs first few days.

As they say: there is no substitution for the experience :)

In the army now (russian version:) ) :

#17     Aug 11, 2016
  8. Handle123

Handle123

Om Gosh, I remember those years or decades of going balls to the wall trading/coding/backtesting 18 hours a day. YES, it was a choice and LIFESTYLE, you know what happens, God made a body that can't take this, you either find a way to lighten up or your body will get weak and one day says I will give you much sickness, like I am now. Hire some college kids to help you do coding, they need the money and you need time away. Back test what hours you do the best and then trade those hours. Get your trading down to the very best you can then learn to average down, get your trading down to under 5% losses then trade one hour, start adding to your size every 3-4 months, lease a seat to get costs much further down. At some point even an hour seems like forever then you find a way to automate it all, then looking at daily statements seems like forever to review.....Then you have many hours to check out EliteTrader and piss off the masses while you drink down some Irish coffees or Long island Teas. Been long time since I heard "Holy Mary, Mother of God" as Parish Irish Priest Patrick be using the belt on my ass for one of hundred plus things I did or didn't do wrong. LOL He caught me once drinking the Irish Whiskey in priest rectory as I was assisting in bringing in the five cases of it and once case of cheap wine, I got a whipping then, didn't stop me though, LOL.

#18     Aug 11, 2016
    beginner66 likes this.
  9. sprstpd

sprstpd

10. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Image of the guy and desk is not a standing workstation.

Instead, its a guy with bad posture while standing up and then leaning on a regular desk. :D

Walk around...the first step implies you need to "stand up". You don't need any research to tell you that someone standing up or walking around for long duration is more healthy than sitting down or lying down for long duration.

Too many obesity research out there about the impact of children lying around inactive versus kids that get outside and be active (run around).

Regardless, we're talking about computer work. Thus, we're not talking about someone working as a mechanic, fireman or similar like jobs involving heavy lifting, twisting in awkward angles as a representation of someone that has health problem from "standing up". Kind'uv reminds me about a friend that works a construction job arguing that he doesn't see any benefits to standing up after he's had two knee surgeries, herniated disc from standing up. :banghead:

His job tasks did him in...not standing up.

In contrast, we're talking about people that have jobs that they sit for many hours without any activity for long continuous hours in their home office.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    #20     Aug 11, 2016