Trading EUR/USD automatedly (version 2.0)

Discussion in 'Journals' started by bhristov, Feb 5, 2013.

1. bhristov

bhristov

reversed position at 1.3528 for .46 gain current open PnL is 3.85 will post chart this afternoon.

#11     Feb 7, 2013
  2. bhristov

bhristov

So I exited my long manually at 1.3565 to lock in profits. I checked for executions short at 930 and noticed no open positions so I manually entered short at 1.3461 but my pos wasn showing up again so I accidentally doubled the short again at 1.3469 and 15 min later my program executed a third short at 1.3445 now I am really confused how its executing at 945 when it should be trading 30 min bars. Anyway I covered my 2 positions for good profit and let the third ride.

#12     Feb 7, 2013
  3. bhristov

bhristov

Signals posted, PnL today 15.10

Acct balance is 214.88

Program executions were fixed, no current open trades.

#13     Feb 7, 2013
  4. bhristov

bhristov

Week 3 is done. Overnight I decided to override the buy signal of my program since the L shaped price action on thursday in my experience rarely leads to an immediate rebound. I took a short at 9:30 for 30 pips which I manually exited a the end of the day.
    I made a profit of about 3 dollars.

Overall: Starting acct value: 200
    Week 1: 187 (Lots of chop during Martin Luther King Day)
    Week 2: 196 (205 was the highest intra-week PnL)
    Week 3: 217.85

This week started with some execution glitches that I think I have fixed. I did interfere with my programmed strategy but it was more due to my insecurity with its proper executions and a calculated decision not to take a weak looking signal. I will promise less interference going forward, but I will always get out of the way of a freight train if I see its coming.

Other than that I have not blown up with max leverage trading against my strategy so there is some improvement but its never too late for me.

#14     Feb 8, 2013
  5. bhristov

bhristov

I apologize for neglecting the journal but due to my previous issues with glitches it was necessary to recheck my program for problems during executions. In the mean time I have been dormant except for a few small discretionary trades. These are mostly gap trades for small profits. My last trade was against the enormous gap generated on the eur/usd a couple of weeks ago. It was quite challenging with several stop outs and re-entries during the European news stories but luckily it worked out for a handsome profit. Definitely trading has to be hands down the toughest way to squeeze a profit. Even when you have a proven strategy the markets like to test your nerves. Anyway, I have updated the code so that I can resume auto trading. I will restart this week and keep updating the results. So far from the trades executed as well as the entries and exits generated during the downtime are very encouraging. Although I am not making big bucks I feel elated that at least after 7 yrs of work and hobby time I can see some results. (At least temporarily). I need to learn how to handle leverage better but The underlying strategies do work. I have learned that even if you have a strategy that works 90% of the time you can still blow up through over leverage. It's a completely different different knowledge that is just important to a successful trader. It is my personal Achilles heel and I will strive to work on it.

Current acct balance: 337
    Profit so far this year: 137
    Percent return: 68.5%

#15     Apr 8, 2013
  6. bhristov

bhristov

Just for information. My gap trading is not part of my automated strategy which is actually trend following. I have been looking at ways to combine the two further down the line. Currently I want to simplify my life by testing them independently. I may trade them in the future side by side as part of a portfolio to reduce risk and smooth the total equity curve since both of the strategies are completely uncorrelated.

#16     Apr 8, 2013
  7. bhristov

bhristov

I just wanted to show a daily chart of the eur/usd to illustrate my trade in case anyone wasn't sure what I was talking about. The gap down occurred Mar 18.

#17     Apr 9, 2013
  8. bhristov

bhristov

Overall choppy trading and few good signals were generated. Currently trading 2 micro lots. I will look to start scaling up again next week.

Acct value was 335.14 with currently losing open short position.
    I have attached my signals as promised. I am happy with the executions. Knock on wood I think my glitches have been dealt with.

#18     Apr 11, 2013
  9. bhristov

bhristov

couple of more useless signals. I was up to 344 but now I am down to 331.52. On to next week.

#19     Apr 12, 2013
  10. bhristov

bhristov

Closed out a great overnight trade this afternoon on 3 micro lots. I will be looking to size up to 4 micro lots when the opportunity is right.

Current balance: 369.53
    Approximate percent return YTD is 85%

Signals are attached below

#20     Apr 16, 2013