Trading ES in a prop firm?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by FranklySpeaking, Jan 27, 2007.

1. #11     Jan 28, 2007
  2. doli

doli

Hi, Maverick

What do you consider mean reversion on ES to be at this time?
    I know recently that it has been trading in a 3 year long up trending channel,
    and, more recently, in a channel that began about 6 months ago,
    and, even more recently, somewhat of a flat channel (?).
    Would a good long mean reversion trade be at the bottom or middle of a channel? Anywhere else?
    Would a short mean reversion trade be more risky in a rising channel?

What would a short term mean reversion be?

#12     Jan 28, 2007
  3. Thanks Don.

#13     Jan 29, 2007
  4. bighog

bighog Guest

Financials are in general "back and fill" and opposite are the grains which are " breakout then runners" mkts. Now that is a general statement.

There are a lot of Generals in trading. .. :D

#14     Jan 29, 2007
  5. what exactly do you mean reversion mav the way you are using it in context is a little difficult to understand, do you mean mean reversion within the intraday sings like on a 1 day 1 minute bar chart?

#15     Jan 29, 2007
  6. Big Hog.....you said it best.

I run both a mean reversion and a breakout and tweak the size of the channel per the product.

My ES program would get hammered in the AB or ER2 market the that ER2 market trades very nicely with my breakout parameters. Gold and ER run the and trade very similar which is why I run that same ER system on ZG.

Energy and currency all trade slightly different and thus I must trade that with different parameters but the same trade logic applies with the same Money Management.

I attached the 3 year back testing on the AB market. The best market to trade in my opinion at this time. This is trading a two lot. One target and one long term runner. No overnight. Just a day trade and close her up at 1:14.

#16     Jan 29, 2007
  7. Maverick74

Maverick74

I was refering to the intra-movement of the indices. They have a tendency to revert to the mean intra-day. In other words choppy.

#17     Jan 30, 2007
  8. Hi Maverick,

Do you know of any prop firms that train people to daytrade the ES in NY? Is it even possible to daytrade the ES?

I just read a book by Caitlin Zaloom titled "Out of the Pits" where supposedly she traded futures at a firm using tape reading. I didn't think the tape could be read in futures? Thanks.

#18     Jan 30, 2007
  9. Maverick74

Maverick74

NY? No, I don't know of any in NY, although I'm sure there must be some firms there that do. Chicago has a boatload of them.

Yes, it's very possible to daytrade the ES. Every guy in my office does it.

As far as tape reading, keep in mind, there are many definitions of tape reading out there. It's a very vague term. You cannot read the tape in the traditional sense. But under certain definitions, people probably claim to be reading the tape.

#19     Jan 30, 2007
  10. Hey Don
    What do u mean by this : Sure we do, after proper screening - ???????
    Is there any reason u have to screen people to see if they are qualified to trade or do they have enought $$$$ power
    I know trading future is risky but i never heard any company screening pll for trading future .
    Also can i trade from you platform future and equities togeather and also option if possible -?
    Don thank you for your time:D

#20     Jan 30, 2007