Trading Environment on Portable Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ProfLogic, Feb 14, 2008.

1. #11     Feb 14, 2008
  2. I think what you need is something that that will virtualize your main PC environment and apply that to a host computer.

Try looking at MojoPac, you can even use your old Ipod. There is a free version on the site as well, worth looking into.

http://www.mojopac.com/portal/content/how/

#12     Feb 14, 2008
  3. bespoke

bespoke

If you run an OS from a portable USB HD (not a flashdrive), will it run slower than if connected through IDE?

#13     Feb 24, 2008
  4. Derek-J

Derek-J

EVERYONE should have one or two of these things. Here is a link to an auction on ebay. Cut and past the link and have a boo.
    hxxp://cgi.ebay.com/USB-2-0-to-IDE-SATA-Serial-ATA-Hard-drive-Adapter-Cable_W0QQitemZ330214005454QQihZ014QQcategoryZ74941QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262
    It will probably be expired by the time you look at it but the gadget is what you need. There are LOTS of them and they are CHEAP. It will work with a laptop 2.5 inch drive, a desktop 3.5 inch drive and a SATA drive. You can use power from the host computer OR it has it's own power adapter you can plug into the wall. Make sure you get the USB 2.0 version. I use it ALL the time. I can take my drive with me where ever I go and just plug it into a usb on another computer. If it is an OLDER operating system you have to install a small program for it to work. The disk comes with the gadget. With XP or newer it is just plug n go. I have 2 similar hard drives and I use Acronis backup software and this device to make a bit by bit identical copy as my back up. I have several friends that I have doing their backups this way also and one of them crashed a while back. He called me in a PANIC - ALL his business info was on that disk. It happened to him before without a backup and it took him months to get back in business and some stuff he lost forever. When he called this time I said "Just swap the drives." He said "then what do I do?" I said "That's it!- you're back in business." He could not believe it. I even have my ISP using one. Hope that helps. Best of luck.
    Derek-J.

#14     Feb 24, 2008
  5. It should actually be pretty easy.

Save the install programs on the disk.
    Save the c:\program files\ directories for the trading progs on the disk (to copy over the newly installed ones)
    Save the C:\... \Application Data
    directories on the disk (again to copy over).

You could use Acronis Disk Imaging to do the whole swap. If you do that, when you save the image you need to tweak the registry so that WindowsXP no longer has the disc configuration --- then it will start on a different computer (google it).

#15     Feb 24, 2008
  6. Schaefer

Schaefer

Same here, but QuoteTracker instead of Sierra. I also back it up on the actual harddrive, before unpluging the flash drive. So I always have a back up copy, at any given time.

I can't afford to lose my "Super 3 MA Crossover System" to some computer moster :D

Schaefer

#16     Feb 24, 2008