Trading education

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by Candlesmon, Nov 17, 2009.

1. So you've been trading longer than I have, and yet you spend time seeking basic trading education by going to trading school seminars? That says a lot about your success and of course your judgement. Something tells me you're broke and someone at these places either shoved you out of their building or is not taking your calls anymore. Whatever the case is something went wrong with you and your trading somewhere and you have a bone to pick.

I looked at the Ebay videos for sale right now and they're from 2003 or 2004 I don't think ota made recent videos. The ebay videos however should have enough info there to get people thinking right so that 300 dollars is worth it IMO.

good luck traderzone, hope you get that santa claus job at your mall so you can finaly make your money back. they should be hiring by now.

#41     Dec 3, 2009
  2. bone

bone

Don't get bitter, get better.

#42     Dec 3, 2009
  3. it's all in fun

#43     Dec 3, 2009

4. TZ ...you did NOT say that did you:eek:

You have been asked continuously in many threads to provide a strategy to trade and you have ignored/deflected ,changed the subject or any other method necessary not to provide an answer to the question. The reason is because you seem to always find fault with others and NEVER provided a positive alternative to their "disillusionment".

And most of the time it is justified.

The fact the you have stated that you trade is quite amazing...how could you find the time?

So....putting that aside...are you profitable on a continuous basis?

NiN

#44     Dec 3, 2009
  5. Quote from Now is Now:
    You have been asked continuously in many threads to provide a strategy to trade

Fine. You provide a proven system with good metrics, that is currently longterm profitable and broker statements that prove it so, and I will consider your woefully misguided request. Plenty of people offer things that don't work on ET, but high value things are not just handed over. Regardless of your warped belief to the contrary.

Why do you think newbies keep showing up and requesting free edges, and the more serious here keep telling them they have to wallow through and learn for themselves? You definitely rank in the bottom 5-10% of the informed on ET. Now go put your head back into the mud.

The fact the you have stated that you trade is quite amazing...how could you find the time?

Unlike yourself, people here trade. Perhaps you thought you were at the beauty salon again. Now on ignore you go, ignorant one...

#45     Dec 3, 2009
  6. how many times have you stated trading is a lost cause, no win, everyone loses, foolish folly, blah blah? 5000+ times in this alias?

king of the hypocrites, queen of the trolls

#46     Dec 3, 2009
  7. Your answer is the reason most feel sorry for you...I do...

#47     Dec 3, 2009
  8. When I see you naked, shivering and picking through scraps at the mall dumpster, I will let you borrow my suit :D

#48     Dec 4, 2009
  9. ednir

ednir

Just attended a full day of All Start Trader Event by OTA. Overall it was disappointing and ineffective use of my time. I am “aspired to become a trader” that covered much free media material and has little experience executing trades. Here are some of my personal observations.

--For instance the first presentation titled “Broad Market Analysis: Advanced Technical Analysis Techniques” by Brandon Wendell, was rudimentary at best for me. Presentations did not contribute to my understanding the specifics of OTA offerings.

--I appreciate the message that a super star like OTA’s Sam Sieden makes many thousands of dollars per month. I could not understand how my own future will change specifically after subscribing to OTA. Will detecting Head and Shoulder make me successful trader? Will following the calls made in their XLT trading room gurantee my achievements?

--Only “positive outcome” successful examples were used exclusively where I am actually looking for insight into failed trades and the battle to manage risk. Big portion of the day was dedicated to happy customers’ testemonials. It was hard for me to ignore my wish to learn about preparing for “negative outcome” with appropriate statistical bias to help frame the inevitable losing trades with overall winning strategy.

--Some of OTA emphatic statements bothered me. Examples includes “anyone in this room can become a successful trader,” or “anyone can set and achieve daily earning goal stated in one’s individual Trading Plan.”

--I seek to expand my view of trading as statistical process. I did not see any education or tools to enhance that perspective. For instance I wish to improve my understanding of capitalization and scaling into trading as a probability challenge rather than receive a generic advice that Futures or Options will take care of any Capital issues.

--The Pro Trader course description seems a collection of introductory material that I already know. I missed specific examples to gauge my benefit. For instance how reviewing yet another time how to compute Stochastic is useful to me or why should I spend time on Nasdaq level 2 after it became marginal as many other transaction paths that obscure that data is available.

--The XLT high level description came across as similar to other Electronic Trading Rooms that emphasize education with some advantages (like coverage of multiple asset classes) and some limitations (like sparse availability or lack of specific focus).

--I could not find among the audience a single person that could potentially become my colleague in trading. It might be an indicator to the level of class contents that would need to facilitate heterogeneous levels of understanding. It might be that aspired trader like me was in the wrong place. It definitely was a warning sign to my goal to establish long term relationship with a community that have mutual interest.

--Since I have “mental” issues when it comes to trading, I was probing into OTA offering in that area. Again, I heard general claims that I can not correlate to a Mark Douglas book, Denise Shull webinar, or Brett Steenbarger article.

--I understand their legitimate business goal to sell services. However their sales pitch is overstated and the pressure to commit is quite a turnoff.

--My take on their general approach is that audience are novices that do not need depth, plethora of subjects are mentioned to suggest breadth, OTA service purchasing deals should be finalized before the hype dies down, and concentration on life-style benefits and universal human aspirations would mask any need to elaborate their offerings’ specifics.

--I do not mean to sound entirely negative. OTA organized a nice event that featured good public speakers. Perhaps for someone that is only exposure to investing is his quarterly 401K, it opens a door to another dimension of investing possibilities and available topics. However I had difficulty to figure out their product specifics which got me frustrated.

--My disposition toward OTA was positive based on differentiating criteria like owning local physical location or making live trades as part of the class. But getting an idea what these live trading sessions entail is another matter. For instance during the long day the live market was not used or even referenced, nor the delayed-reality-based Trading Competition game was analyzed.

Again, I have no trading credentials and my point of view is of (hopefully) educated novice that would like to improve but not sure about the effectiveness of using education services. I am sure that some of my observations are the result of lacking experience and knowledge or misinterpreting OTA message. Still I expect that some of my comments can help others.

#49     Dec 17, 2009
  10. OTA and their ilk are basically "stretch out a $30 TA book into a 7 day course adn charge many thousands".

I also find the number of fake-looking happy web reviews way out of line with their size, and likely falsified.

You can get their $6,000 CDs on ebay for a couple of hundred bucks.

Notice, they NEVER NEVER have an audited track record.

#50     Dec 19, 2009