Trading Edge

Discussion in 'Options' started by dreamer, Nov 18, 2002.

1. dreamer

dreamer

How many of you have an edge in trading methodology that you keep to yourself, knowing that if you divulge it, the edge may cease to exist?

How many of you are willing to divulge that trading edge you think you have to the rest of us?

I invite all of you that think you have an edge in trading to divulge it here for all of us to review.

2. The thing is youve got to learn to trade before an edge will do you any good. Its one of those chicken or egg paradoxes. Do you know how to cut your losses quickly, execute flawlessly, control your emotions, be patient, all while monitoring all aspects of the market ? Then you have to trade this strategy under all market conditions until you learn, by experience, when not to take the trade. A strategy will not do you any good until you are ready for it. They are easy to find. Street Smarts and Advanced Trading Strategies is a good place to start.

3. Te'

Te' Guest

My greatest edge is myself...

4. Speed, volume and execution costs ...

5. Maverick74

Maverick74

I think I said this earlier but thanks for reiterating it. Now if your name is Dreamer then it's secret strategy but for everyone else speed, volume and execution cost is it. I like to add execution as well. Many people know the strategies but fail to execute them.

6. dreamer

dreamer

I would like to know the value of your success, Maverick, in utilizing speed, volume and execution. What results have you generated?

7. dottom

dottom

For the retail trader who can't exploit the very small inefficiencies available to those with an edge using speed, volume, and low execution costs, there are other edges to be found.

Specifically, how do you differentiate between noise and semi-deterministic price activity? I say "semi-deterministic" here because we are not talking 100% accurate prediction, but degress of probability and risk.

This is the key to my success.

8. Mispe

Mispe

Speed, volume and execution costs ...

It's a bit short to define a trading edge !!!
    Please tell more for the ones who want to learn !

9. Dreamer, I'm a bit perplexed, of course I'm also slow. In a prior thread you were not willing to present any details or examples of your methodologies but now you are asking for others to do so. Perhaps you would be willing to lead the way here?

Good trading.

10. dreamer

dreamer

ET,

I think you misunderstood my post. I asked, "How many of you have an edge in trading methodology that you keep to yourself, knowing that if you divulge it, the edge may cease to exist?

How many of you are willing to divulge that trading edge you think you have to the rest of us?"

The point was to see how many have such an edge that they are unwilling to divulge it.

Those that are willing to divulge it were invited to do so.

I see nothing inconsistent about that, do you?

I admit there are many trading systems out there that can be discussed without any negative effects on trading results. However, IMHO, my methodology is such that if I were to divulge it, I believe it would reduce the results I am able to achieve. There are also positive tax consequences involved in my methodology that I prefer to keep to myself.

There is a lot of good information here on this site, in the various forums and I enjoy reading them. I also have learned some interesting things.

#10     Nov 19, 2002