Trading dying a slow death

Discussion in 'Trading' started by sputdr, Nov 17, 2005.

1. That's the more pleasant when dying slowly.
    :)

#21     Nov 17, 2005
  2. as program trading % of volume increases.... trading dies...

lesson over...

#22     Nov 17, 2005
  3. patoo

patoo

amen!

#23     Nov 17, 2005
  4. Huh? Algorithmic trading is still trading, why the difference?

Just because a computer can beat the world chess champion (see Deep Blue vs Garry Kasprov), it doesn't mean that people would find chess any less interesting or fun, right? The retail mom-and-pop are still going to buy their 100 shares of IBM / AT&T, and put it aside for 10 years, and watch the appreciation. Computer have only made the very short-term games harder, that's all. A computer will be hard pressed to be world bridge champion (a highly cooperative game), but a computer have been world checkers champion for almost 10+ years, because it is a mechanical game with limited search space.

#24     Nov 17, 2005
  5. Cheese

Cheese

Volatility has been good this year .. index futures and certainly the DOW.

It was Summer last year which had a patch with a lot of small range days.

But, hell, every day is good. The money is in the gyrations.
    :)

#25     Nov 17, 2005
  6. Pabst

Pabst

There's been a clear correlation between the increase in program trading as a percentage of NYSE volume and lower index volatility.

What is NOT clear though is whether it's the programs causing tighter ranges or whether the tighter ranges help facilitate the programs. I'd say a bit of both...

#26     Nov 17, 2005
  7. Choad

Choad

Hell yes!

The last couple months have been my best in a loooong time.

Good trading to all.

C

#27     Nov 17, 2005
  8. ozzy

ozzy

Unfortunately the title of this thread rings a bell in my house.

I was a millionaire when I was 27 and as I push close to 30 I barely have enough money to buy food (sad but true). Trading has been a surreal experience, when I look back I wish I had not taken this path.

#28     Nov 17, 2005
  9. mokwit

mokwit

As someone noted in another thread there seem to be fewer and fewer traders on ET. Most of the new posts do not strike me as being started by traders.

Markets cycle between extremes where almost anybody can make money and extremes where almost nobody can make money.

#29     Nov 17, 2005
  10. truth is 95% of people on these boards trade with 5-10k either threw futures or threw prop. if this were 1999 and one had to have 50k these boards would be getting 10 notes a day instead of 1000

#30     Nov 17, 2005