Trading Diaries

Discussion in 'Journals' started by themickey, Sep 13, 2018.

1. smallfil

smallfil

Not really sure if that can be done. Spreadsheets do get large and I print out the last 3 pages usually as the past pages have the closed trades. Those last 3 pages I have updated the latest trades and enables me to focus on them. I have added at the bottom, some useful formulas to figure out the win/loss percentages, total gains and losses, average gain vs average loss, average gain/average loss ratio. That enables me to figure out how I am doing performance wise. Simple is better and I do not wish to complicate it further.

#11     Sep 14, 2018
  2. themickey

themickey

Are you using just one sheet for the diary, if so, how many pages does that go on for?
    It would become a very long diary on one sheet, yes, no? :)

#12     Sep 14, 2018
  3. TraderEX

TraderEX

do you find this very time consuming?

#13     Sep 14, 2018
  4. Grantx

Grantx

I used to keep track of everything in an excel spreadsheet. Now all I do is take a screen shot of the chart with a few notes. Nice and simple.

#14     Sep 14, 2018
  5. themickey

themickey

Grantx, you have been a way long time, missed you, welcome back, nice to see you contributing again, hope you have been keeping well :)
    Do you just compile your screen shots and notes on MS Word?
    I have notes all over the place, Excel, Word, some on note paper, some in emails...
    Often when out having a coffee or sometimes in bed at night I want to make some notes, everything at the moment for me is disjointed re note taking of trading ideas.
    I was wondering if google supplied a diary, they promote google calendar which can be used as a diary, but I found this....
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/my-diary/igfnkanfehhehlajnhpajibfcfgkaikl

#15     Sep 14, 2018
    Grantx likes this.
  6. smallfil

smallfil

I don't write notes on each trade until, I close it. Then, I will know what I did right or wrong and note it in the spreadsheet. So far in 2018, I have 18 pages. Not bad really because it is a wealth of information for me in terms of feedback on what I need to improve on and what I need to keep doing! My notes are shorter like one or two sentences below the trade itself.

#16     Sep 14, 2018
    themickey likes this.
  7. Grantx

Grantx

I dont keep any notes once a trade has completed. There is absolutely no value in what I think about any particular trade with the benefit on hindsight. I am more interested in what I was thinking at the time when I was making a decision on incomplete data.

I always look forward with scenarios and that is what gets recorded. See image at the bottom. I have plenty of examples like this.

I never have to worry about whether I am following my plan or not because I trade off levels with limit orders. I dont see the point of going to all the effort of identifying levels and then ‘waiting to see what happens’ when price gets there?!? Id say 95% of my time is spent scenario planning so when I put my limit orders in I am 100% committed. There is no more point analysing after that fact because either I was run over or it worked...onto the next trade.

I dont get too involved in post trade statistical analysis either. I'm making money or not.

I dont think many would agree with this kind of approach but thats how I roll.
    eu2.png

#17     Sep 15, 2018
    themickey likes this.
  8. themickey

themickey

Had my thinking cap on yesterday, I'm going to further take advantage of how I currently use the cloud, will probably design a diary with a cloud folder, that way it is accessible everywhere I go.
    Probably wont use any Diary Apps as they seem to want to charge a monthly or annual fee. There is always a danger of an App no longer becoming available, eg they run it down until it becomes unreliable and buggy, so will prolly use Word/Excel type software.
    The cloud charges seem far more reasonable than diary App charges and cloud is more versatile with what can be achieved.

#18     Sep 15, 2018
  9. Grantx

Grantx

100% agree with you. I subscribed to tradervue for a month but found that excel could achieve exactly the same thing. Now I use Dropbox for images and Google docs. Even my trading is all in the cloud. No more reliance on a single computer.

#19     Sep 16, 2018
    themickey likes this.
  10. I am currently checking out TradeBench -- which is free. Pros: (1) FREE; (2) track multiple brokerage accounts; (3) allows you to set up strategies and checklists; (4) web-based; (5) fairly flexible -- you can be more or less detailed. Only major con for me is lack of forex support (but you can still enter forex trades -- it's just entirely manual -- you just won't get current values on open positions, etc.). Initially, I didn't think TradeBench would suit my needs but as I played around with it and only used the features that mattered to me, I now feel it may work well with how I approach the markets. I plan to use it through the end of the year and see how it works out.

I also have Edgewonk which I have used periodically. It has some good features, but now having tried TradeBench I think that will work better for me on a regular basis. Edgewonk is a stand-alone solution, although you can load it on DropBox to make it cloud-based but you still have to manage it in your DropBox account versus the entirely web-based TradeBench.

#20     Nov 24, 2018
    themickey likes this.