Trading Desk Jobs (?)

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Gabbana25, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Hi,

Are there any trading firms where someone can put up their own capital and pay for training and a desk and be somewhat independent? I've been following the markets for a few years now, lost in fantasy stock trading and real-life trading, but I have also learned a lot and come back more determined each time to succeed. I'm 26 y/o, and investing part of my pay into my IRA and personal trading account and down the road I want to get serious and day trade. I don't have the illusion of getting rich quick, but I love it and I can see myself over time getting good at it. In a nutshell, any helpful suggestions would be appreciated. I'm starting out and love the world of investments; I know it's a high-stress profession, but when you do what you love for work, you won't work a day in your life, so to speak. I know also to trade out of one's home or whatever you need at least $25k in cash. Thanks again!!

2. "...I can see myself over time getting good at it."

What leads you to this conclusion?

3. What you're looking for is a prop firm that requires security deposit. Some provide training and basically you use the leverage they provide to trade and you will give them a cut if your trade is profitable.

Go to the Prop Firm forum for more.

4. I second what elitetradesman said about seeking a Prop Firm. You sound young and ambitious, good luck to you!

5. it makes me laugh.

but you never know, he may be Nodoji II.

6. Thank you to the earlier posts for the advice, I will check out those forums.

7. mtromp31

mtromp31

Hello All,

I am 17 years old in the Chicago area with a great interest in trading, eventually i want to make a career out of it. Currently i am trading my own money on my etrade account while attending highschool. I havent chose the college that i will be attending yet but i am looking at schools with top business programs. For the time being i would like to get some experience at a prop trading firm, or hedge fund(I'm not expecting any responsiblities...mostly offering help around the office...to network with the industry professionals) Now i know most of you will say what i want is an internship and i need to be enrolled in college for this... you guys know of any prop firms/hegde funds that would take on someone like me for extra help doing little tasks around the office?

Thanks,
    Mike

8. hey guys- here's a pretty big list of prop firms in the Chicago / NY area

http://www.traderslog.com/proprietarytradingfirms/

Mike- my best advice to you is to keep trading, especially with real $ prop firms seem to LOVE when people in high school & college trade frequently and will definitely get you in a seat when you're out of college. If you're good you can definitely nab a seat at one of the 'better' firms.. as soon as anyone starts talking about which prop firms are the 'best' on the internet the irrational screaming starts (see: http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/best-proprietary-trading-firms-2010 ) so seek out a bunch and make up your own mind what fits you :)