Trading Crypto

Discussion in 'Crypto Assets' started by Trader Curt, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Sprout

Sprout

#21     Mar 6, 2019
  2. maxinger

maxinger

I trade various futures for many decades.

Contrary to what the experts and market news reporters say,
    bitcoin volatility is rather bad.
    One of the worst futures to trade is Bitcoin futures.
    Why?
    Liquidity is rather poor, and volatility is rather poor (ie rather low) and it moves rarely.

So if you find bitcoin volatility is rather high, then perhaps you might have set your stops far too tight.

Do compare bitcoin futures with other

- extremely low volatility futures like - ZN 10 years T notes, GE eurodollar futures

- high volality futures like - Nasdaq, crude oil ...
    ( of course, lately NQ and crude oil volatility have been rather low)

so that you have a better feel.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    #22     Mar 7, 2019
    Nobert likes this.
  3. LanaV

LanaV

And what exchange do you advise to use for the initial experience? Can't get my head around these interfaces. Found this one Looks like they are quite suitable for newbies. Will see.

#23     Mar 12, 2019
  4. Trader Curt

Trader Curt

I suggest using Binance. They have all the indicators and is a great platform for begginers

#24     Mar 14, 2019
  5. Binance is the market leader of exchanges. They have a wide variety of alts and high volume.

But firstly, you need a fiat onramp to buy bitcoin before you can transfer your bitcoin to binance for trading.

#25     Mar 15, 2019
  6. Sprout

Sprout

It really depends on what one really wants to do. If one doesn’t have the private keys, then they don’t really own the asset and instead have a ledger entry.

As for a fiat gateway, Cash App hands down for ease of use and quick verification for kyc. Then if one wants to just invest and not necessarily trade actively Coinswitch is a great altcoin gateway - quick, easy, low fees.

#26     Mar 15, 2019
    HolyGrailSeeker likes this.
  7. True. But if you don't trade you can't maximize profits. If one wants to be cautious but still trade, one can set up a certain comfortable amount (Say 5k) on the exchange, any excess profits at an end of the period will be send to a bitcoin cold wallet. If your balance is below 5k don't top up but try to trade it up to 5k.

Alternative method is to store 10-20% of your cryptos on exchange for trading while the rest in cold wallet. Rebalance perodically.

#27     Mar 15, 2019
  8. nerase

nerase

I keep small percentage for trading on exchanges so I can maximize my dollar cost average into Bitcoin. I like to play with leverage and last summer I started using Bitmex and now Primexbt as I don't like to keep all of my trading funds on one exchange.

There was a period when I was not trading and missed a lot of profits while only hodling, as it doesn't work well when the market is going down for a long period of time :(.

#28     Mar 20, 2019
    HolyGrailSeeker likes this.
  9. Xzhi

Xzhi

I have been trading crypto for years, and yes, volatility is pretty low, but you can use leverage on exchanges that offer it.

Liquidity is a pretty bad on most exchanges, but not on Bitmex.

I believe trading Bitcoin and altcoins is actually easier due to certain market inefficiencies, but it is probably one of the most manipulated markets currently.

#29     Apr 15, 2019