trading crude for an oil company

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by dbdk1, Apr 20, 2008.

1. dbdk1

dbdk1

I'm not really sure if this is the right forum, so I am sorry if its off topic.

I met a guy the other day that said he was an oil trader for a company called plains marketing. I looked it up and it looks like it's part of a bigger American firm called Plains all American Pipeline. He said he didn't need post secondary or experience for the job and that I should apply.

Does anyone here know anything about this company? any reason I shouldn't apply? I'm having a hard time finding any information on trading oil or any other commodity for a company as a career and really don't know what to expect.

2. Most utilities and oil companies have trader positions that I believe help them hedge risk. I applied with BP in the LA area for a trader position and Souther California Edison. Also, I think airlines have such positions for fuel management.

3. dbdk1

dbdk1

is it odd that they dont require experience or a major in finance or anything like that?

4. Mercor

Mercor

5. dbdk1

dbdk1

yes, i did use google. theres lots of info on the company and its history, but i couldn't find anything about their oil trading.

6. rosy2

rosy2

you dont need this anywhere for entry level

7. dbdk1

dbdk1

heh, thats seems strange. what kind of job is it? will i just be a coffee bitch starting out?

8. Surdo

Surdo

Why did you expect The SVP title and a corner office right away?
    I have a friend that makes serious coin at AHC, trading WTI,he started out as a trainee.

There are dozens of medium sized energy trading operations in Houston, Google is your friend.

http://www.hess.com/Careers/experienced_professionals.htm

9. dbdk1

dbdk1

no, i was wondering what its like starting out trading in an environment like that.

i dont live in the u.s.a, and im not having trouble finding trading companies, its just difficult to find info on the job itself. what an average day is like, what the rules are like as far as placing trades, what they expect from you etc. i will honestly probably only do it over summer and first semester and then quit and go back to school, i am extremely interested in trading professionally and i really want to find out what it is like. i have to take some time off school and scrape together some more tuition money anyway, and i don't want to go work the oil rigs.

the only thing i have seen that gives any insight at all into what it is like trading energy is that enron documentary. which doesnt seem to be an accurate picture of a normal trading job. i have scoured google and there is nothing. just companies hiring traders and spouting crap about how innovative and dynamic they are.