Trading Costs

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by Echieo, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Echieo

Echieo

Quick question about trading costs in automated trading stratagies. We have a algorithimic trading system that generally does quite well but sufferes from the fact that our trading costs are so high.

I was wondering if anyone here knows how high frequency traders deal with trading costs? Are there firms that have set-ups with little to no trading costs or flat monthly trading costs?

We currently estimate .1% per trade (which comes out to .2% total to get in and out of a position). As such this accounts for a fair bit of our profit. Does any have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

2. What's your per-share execution rate (assuming equities?)

The HFT firms become registered as broker dealers, some self-clear, while others negotiate clearing arrangements at insanely low rates.

.1% per trade means 1 penny/share on a $10 stock. That was the standard rate for a daytrader doing 10k shares/day in 2005. Costs are closer to .001%. If you add liquidity on more than about 55-60% of your executions, the rebates will result in you having a net negative cost to trade (i.e. if your gross is $0, your net could be $2000 if you traded, say, a million shares).

To summarize, no one pays anywhere NEAR .1%.

3. I am also looking to implement a HFT strategy. I currently use interactive brokers and think the commission is too high. They charge
    $0.002/share for volume>300K.

I am thinking connect to exchange directly and found a clearing house. But I do not know how to do it. For example, I checked BATS, which requires registered broker-dealer. I am not sure what the cost to register as a dealer. Also, I do not know where to find the clearing house to support me, small investor with $500K fund.

4. It's not the cost to register a B/D which might be $20,000 and about 6 months time...
    It's the administrative overhead which will kill you...
    Also B/Ds are locked into Clearing Contracts...
    Which are not necessarily cheaper...
    But a signing bad 50 page contract can kill you.

It you are trying to make money off $0.01 spreads...
    You are up against the Big Players and will fail...
    You gotta trade stuff with $0.03 to $0.04 spreads...
    Either because it's less liquid or because it's gotten temporarily volatile....
    Or futures with 2 tick spreads...
    Even CL 6 months out has 2 tick spreads.

5. Yes, I am thinking I cannot compete with big player in HFT. My strategy should be scalping with bigger spread as you said. If I am implementing this strategy, I guess I would pay $5000 commission to IB every month. That's why I am thinking if there is another alternative that I can reduce the cost. If register B/D and clearing myself costs more than $5000/month, then it is for sure no advantage to do this. Just wondering if it is a good idea to pay $5000 commission to earn another $10000-$20000 (This is the number I guess I can profit). I am using 1:1 leverage in another strategy (stocks holding for 1-2 months), and still have some margin. So I am thinking implementing a scalping strategy to earn more money since they can use the margin, but closed position everyday.

6. Just a question here, but I thought part of the HFQ game was to 'get' comms through an order flow rather than pay comms to the broker? Maybe I'm supposing away from your model.

7. I do not know the story of get commission from order flow. But at regular broker, I pay the commission, and get the rebate from offering liquidity.