Trading computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shraga18, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Shraga18

Shraga18

I'm switching from a laptop to a desktop, and asked a computer guy I know to put something together for me. Could those here who know about these things tell me if the following is an adequate setup? The computer mainly be used for trading (i.e. no browsing, wordprocessing etc.) and will be running Tradestation 2000i, Esignal (probably), and Open Ecry's trading platform which includes charting.

motherboard: asus p5vd2-mx(v+s+l)
    processor: Intel p4 3.4 dual core 775 box945

Ram: 2x512mb ddr2 553mhz Kingston

Dual monitor card.

Are these components ok? Is the Ram enough?

TIA!

Shraga

2. gnome

gnome

More than adequate unless your applications require more RAM. Can you run off of a single stick of RAM? If so, get 1x1GB instead of 2x512. That way, if you have to add RAM you won't be wasting the 2x512.

3. Tums

Tums

check your task manager.
    it tells you how much memory you are using now, and you can plan your upgrade accordingly.

4. gnome

gnome

I was presuming he had not run those apps together before. Otherwise, he'd have done what you said and would already know what RAM he needed....

5. Your good to go.

6. Shraga18

Shraga18

Thanks everyone!

7. Shraga18

Shraga18

I asked the fellow about this, and he says that the dual core is more efficient with two sticks of Ram.

8. yes i heard that too. Something you should check out

9. gnome

gnome

Did he say "LOTS more"? Or, is it one of those "1%, you'd never notice", kind of thing.?

10. siki13

siki13

Dual sticks of ram are always better because of dual channel
    that all newer motherboard supports

#10     Oct 15, 2006