Trading Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Doobs789, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Raid one is slow.... your shit is on the cloud anyway... just a tb HDD with a Intel sdd as your boot drive is the way to go... no raid needed!! That's costly overhead you don't need...

Raid1 is writing and reading the same data to both disks at once it slows everything down.... totally not worth it...this is the config attic us was complaining about in chat the other day

#51     Mar 4, 2013
  2. Doobs789

Doobs789

Yeah, I have decided against RAID. My selected hard drive set-up should suit my needs. Besides, I do have a cloud back-up, as well as a NAS for all of my music.

#52     Mar 4, 2013
  3. dom993

dom993

I beg to differ ... I use the SSD for Windows, Ninja and its data, the limited apps I need beyond that, and RAID1 HDs for my own data and to backup the SSD.

I practice one in a while restoring my SSD image to a blank HD, it doesn't take more than 2h to restore on new hardware should the SSD fail (in case of a HD failure, I just swap it for a brand new one, et voila).

#53     Mar 4, 2013
  4. That Intel 520 ssd has the equivalent performance of twice the read write as the last model out... which means you killing it anyway... raid0 is awesome but if you lose one drive you down... I've expierenced this myself.....

#54     Mar 4, 2013
  5. Ohh I got ya... your mirroring your back up drive... yea that's not a bad practice at all.. I thought you were talking running os off raid 1 sorrry

#55     Mar 4, 2013
  6. dom993

dom993

Regardless of the reasons, it is a poor choice to spend $3k on a rig and not have full automatic redundancy for your data.

#56     Mar 4, 2013
  7. I typically use acronis.... to back up its great...

#57     Mar 4, 2013
  8. dom993

dom993

Acronis or Macrium Reflect or whatever ... having back-up data is way different from having redundancy for your data.

- In case of backup, you have to manually restore, and you have lost whatever since the last backup.

- In case of redundancy, you swap hardware & go your merry way (although it takes a lot of time to rebuild a 1TB array, but during that time you can resume your work since the data is still available).

#58     Mar 4, 2013

9. RAID 1 is Disk Mirroring. Every time the OS writes to a sector on 1 disk, 1 writes the identical data to the second disk.

This protects you from failure of a hard disk

My 2 cents:
    If your'e gonna drop $3K on a machine - I'd definitely put some of that money toward a RAID 1 setup. Do it in the hardware - dont depend on software RAID

#59     Mar 4, 2013

10. You've probably never had a disk fail in the middle of the day
    :)

#60     Mar 4, 2013