Trading Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Doobs789, Feb 28, 2013.

1. The i7 is more expensive but IMHO would last longer than the XEON. The XEONs tend to suffer from the prolonged heat
    I would guess you run large calcs in your excel spreadsheets - that causes the system fan to start up on the T420s.

Good indication of the heat the cpus generate when all the cores are under load

who says you cant control the hardware with the software?
    :)

#21     Mar 1, 2013
  2. I would have thought the opposite. Xeons are generally in workstations which tend to run many hours per day. ??

#22     Mar 1, 2013
  3. Toms Hardware site has some pretty good discussions on this
    The thing can run all day - its more a matter of how much time the cores are working under load

#23     Mar 1, 2013
  4. Doobs789

Doobs789

Precisely. The excel sheet ties uses all four cores and really drives the temps up. I realize excel is not the best tool to use, but that's a different discussion. I use tpfancontrol to monitor/adjust temps.

#24     Mar 1, 2013
  5. ofthomas

ofthomas

6. ofthomas

ofthomas

the above statement is completely incorrect... without going into the details as to why ... please keep in mind that Xeon is designed for the enterprise... in the enterprise level, the computers are on 24x7x365 and have to provide at the very least 99.9 uptime in the low end...

#26     Mar 1, 2013

7. LOL
    I stand corrected! I was doing 6 other things while answering the OP and I read XEON as AMD Phenom

I recant my earlier statement regarding heat
    Thanks for keeping me honest!!

#27     Mar 1, 2013
  8. ofthomas

ofthomas

off the bat... separate your functions... last thing you want, is for your "normal stuff" to crash your "trading stuff".... also, you want something to be fast, but in what manner? fast is relative... your app(how you are doing calcs) sounds like it can multithread under excel...

without knowing what it really does I am inclined to say that you want to go dual processors and get as many threads as possible doing your calcs, that will finish "faster"... single thread performance might be lower... but the workload is what you are looking to speed up...

I think everything else has been covered by others already and in other threads as well...

but to re-iterate...

drop those 7850's... you dont need them... waste of funds...
    instead of getting internal SATA drive for storage, get an external array to store all your market data...
    instead of 2x240GB... get a 240GB and a 128GB for the OS and apps... if you were planning to mirror them, not sure why you would have done that... if you really want IOPS, get a PCIe SSD isntead..

you already have the T420s... why not use that instead for all the browsing stuff? better yet... get another laptop for the browsing stuff, something that can operate as backup to your trading as well... a T430s or W530 will more than do it... I drive 2x27" from my T420s without issues, you are familiar with how to make that work already...

lastly... as I said, performance is relative... you need to determine if you are after single or multi-thread performance... it appears to me multithread is your requirement... so having the fastest toy wont help you as much as you think.. but having the one with the most number of threads will certainly help you...

look at reman requipment from DELL and HP...

PS. I will add... if you are doing calcs on options, one thing you should look at is using CUDA/OpenGL with Excel... depending on the precision level you require... get a card and play with it... I can assure you that depending on what you are doing that will be faster than any processor based computing you can get from a Xeon or i7... many of the grids that I am building lately are all GPGPUs... but again, it is driven by your code being able to go parallel...

#28     Mar 1, 2013
  9. ofthomas

ofthomas

dont sweat it... wasnt beating up on you... merely clarifying things to avoid misconceptions.. :)

#29     Mar 1, 2013

10. no offence taken
    I would never have noticed they guy was talking about an entirely different cpu unless you mentioned it

#30     Mar 1, 2013