Trading Chatrooms

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by JWS11, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Nothing said in this post is particularly convincing. One event is anecdotal. As to "Saul's" performance, it remains questionable, as you have only given testimony that he exists, is lovable, trades, and has sharp eyes.

#11     Aug 20, 2007
  2. Cannot speak for stocks. In futures trading (CFTC), a website advisory/trading room can publish a complete track record, as long as they have a disclaimer that it is hypothetical. I suspect the same goes for stock sites, but I do not trade these.

In any event, they can publish archives of all their calls. Absence of this or "samplings" renders the entire site questionable. I have looked at many of these sites, and lack of records or complete archives goes hand in hand with lemons. After all, only a couple in a hundred ever have longterm outperform ability.

#12     Aug 20, 2007
  3. gnome

gnome

The First Amendment allows anybody to say anything... factual, fanciful or hypothetical. However, (1) Those registered with securities authorities have their rights in these regards superseded by regulation, and (2) a hypothetical track record has no "meat on the bone".

Besides the fact that "past performance is not a guarantee of future performance", one would be foolish to entrust his assets to anyone or anything which has not demonstrated competence with actual prior trades, don't you agree?

#13     Aug 20, 2007
  4. edil

edil

You can try the Index Futures chat room here in our beloved EliteTrader site itself.

The traders do not give trade signals per se but you can observe them trade the YM and ES realtime. (no fee required). :) :D

#14     Aug 20, 2007
  5. heres a chat log from the room i trade in

• tl.doc
      File size:
      329 KB
      Views:
    #15     Aug 23, 2007
  6. Futures (and probably stock) advisory services are required to do nothing more than publish the required proper disclaimer, and not tread into the arena of CTA (such as offering any kind of personalized advice to subscribers. This right was determined by the courts despite efforts of the CFTC. What people think about this is irrelevant, as long as the publisher follows the rules.

I suspect that those who register still have the same right as publishers, as long as they don't hold themselves out as CTAs. However, I do not know by "register" if you mean as CTAs-RIAs, in relationship to a brokerage, or with the NFA, or something else.

As to foolishness, I would say 1-2 in a hundred advisories have any real outperform value in the longterm.

#16     Aug 24, 2007