Trading Catechism

Discussion in 'Trading' started by nitro, Oct 19, 2015.

1. nitro

nitro

Next, I set up a Bridge Connection on Windows to bridge the WiFI on the laptop to the Ethernet port on the laptop. This way, when I connect the SoC Ethernet to the laptop Ethernet port, the SoC gets a DHCP address from Windows and then whatever I am connected to on the laptop to get out on the internet is also available to the SoC.

The system sets up its own Ethernet virtual adapter through the USB port so that things come up really easy for the beginner. Why it doesn't bridge this connection I am not sure.

In any event, it is not hard to set up a bridge. Here are the instructions. Note, in the SoC linux, you might have to input 8.8.8.8 into resolv.conf

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-set-and-manage-network-bridge-connection-windows-10

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
    #291     Jun 29, 2016
  2. nitro

nitro

#292     Jun 29, 2016
  3. nitro

nitro

This shows how to use Altera's "down to the metal" development environment:

#293     Jun 29, 2016
  4. nitro

nitro

Well, I have run into a problem. It is probably easier to solve the Riemann Hypotheses than work out Altera Documentation. For crying out loud, if I want to install the OpenCL SDK, just show me how to do that and build/run hello world in as little time as possible. Then I can work up the ladder of complexity as the need arises. These people don't understand that the whole reason for OpenCL is to run away from all the complexity. Altera has you in the complexity grip no matter what you try. Some documentation even suggests you install two versions of the same software which appear to differ only by features, even though both require a license, and there is a free version which is never mentioned! :confused: Instructions are given in the form of flow diagrams! LMAO

I have no idea what software does what since everything seems to need everything else, each 20GB big. Windows shows an unknown device, which seems to be pointed to in the documentation. But the driver is nowhere to be found.

Even trying to do something simple like install the Altera OpenCL SDK is a nightmare and it is riddled with complexity. I suspect part of the problem is that this is a cross compiler debugging environment, with so many boards and several different versions of software, further complicated by nesting more software in endless Russian doll style. You need to drop popcorn along the way to follow what they are talking about so you don't get lost.

You think you are installing what you need, but then the document will point you to some other document for something else you need. When you think you are installing something, it turns out you are installing something much bigger. There is very little continuity in the documentation, and theory is mixed in practical getting started documents. Then, design suggestions are mixed in a getting started installation document?! Horrible! Finally, some installations simply hang. I don't know if that is because it is genuinely hung or it is trying to compute something.

Here, maybe I am just tired. This document is titled, Altera SDK for OpenCL Cyclone V SoC Getting Started Guide:D:

https://www.altera.com/content/dam/.../hb/opencl-sdk/aocl_c5soc_getting_started.pdf

These people don't know the difference between an installation guide, a getting started guide, and a users guide. This appears to be all three at once, and then some!

I am stuck, but I will become unstuck.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
    #294     Jul 1, 2016
  5. nitro

nitro

A little closer. I am able to at least invoke the aocl (altera opencl compiler) from a DOS command prompt. The way I did this is unsatisfactory, but I will take it for now [In the AOCL SDK installer, there are two things that are checked. I unchecked one of them because having both checked appears hangs the installation. This gets me quite a bit farther. Not sure what the other thing does, yet].

I am still lost out at sea, but there is a bird flying around so I know land is near by.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
    #295     Jul 2, 2016
  6. nitro

nitro

Almost there. I am almost able to compile hello_world for an Altera FPGA. But, even though the Altera OpenCL SDK is as far as I can tell free, you still have to obtain a license file. Incredible.

And, the documentation on this is almost undecipherable. :(

#296     Jul 2, 2016
  7. nitro

nitro

Ok, I think I am almost to the point where I can run hello world

https://www.altera.com/support/supp...mples/design-software/opencl/hello-world.html

It was definitely not so simple because who the heck has Visual Studio 2010 around anymore? I am using VS2015. This stackoverflow thread helped alot:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...nk2001-unresolved-external-symbol-with-opencl

It compiles and links. Now I have to figure out how to get it into the SoC and how to configure and run it there.

Every step an adventure.

#297     Jul 4, 2016
  8. noddyboy

noddyboy

I admire your courage.

#298     Jul 4, 2016
  9. nitro

nitro

#299     Jul 4, 2016
  10. nitro

nitro

charlie.jpg