Trading bubble

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Hydroblunt, Jul 14, 2005.

1. i dont see a trading bubble b/c most of the would be stock traders are flipping houses/condos b/c it is *hot* *hot* *hot*

#21     Jul 15, 2005
  2. I dont care for poker, and always figured RE was an insiders game.

RE turned into easy money the last 5 years. Missed it. Shiite.

What's the next big thing?

#22     Jul 15, 2005
  3. 996tt

996tt

What's happening in April 2006?

#23     Jul 16, 2005
  4. The market will eventually shake out those who enter trading due to some info commercial or from seeing Cramer's face all over the Internet like he currently is plastered all over Yahoo...In my opinion, with technology and more global markets opening up I honestly believe that real serious traders are going to have opportunities in the near future than they have ever had before.....Advanced technology and wireless will alone open many many new trading opportunities..The get rich quick suckers will get wiped out fast(as they all do) and it is also my opinion that those who are truly making big money trading don't discuss it much...I'd be willing to bet money that even those traders who are members here who are very successful also make the least amount of posts....

#24     Jul 16, 2005
  5. there isnt a trading bubble...
    there is a GAMBLING BUBBLE...

think WPT.

the average joe isnt trading stocks
    or flipping real estate (though many do)

average joe is playing online poker.

ridiculous.

if u think about it though, every generation has an addiction... smoking is OUT.... gambling is IN.

#25     Jul 16, 2005
  6. we have to remember that substantial capital flows eagerly to the best players on the field. i think shops like jim simons and his 15,000 dimensional corr matrices, linux clusters, or whatever he's got 150 phd's working on are highly responsible for the vol issues. you're not fighting johnny ET and his 5k. you're fighting SAC, rentec, et al who dominate intraday market share and gain it at an exponential rate

if you've got more edge than the 1000 guys below you with 20k each, but less than the 1 guy above you with 6B working constantly in every liquid market on earth... it doesn't really matter what those 20k guys underneath are doing. it's more like an 'edge per $ of cap' that we're all fighting .. the concentration of capital around talent. it's not necessarily good enough to be smarter than your retail peers. you have to be smarter (more nimble, whatever) per dollar to walk with a slice of pie

and it's increasingly competetive. but that makes it fun, right

point being, the most talented players are the vast majority of 'the market' even though the 20 typical retailers to your left and right might make it appear otherwise

#26     Jul 16, 2005
  7. Cesko

Cesko

Hydroblunt........these programs, hedge funds and traders keep churning & churning while the market goes nowhere.
    I'm not at all surprised to see this market chop higher and higher on nothing...................

So, what is market actually doing? Chop higher on nothing or goes nowhere?

................, I notice that there are too many newbies rushing into a game that may very easily be extinct soon thanks to programs.
    ...............Of course not. The war over lower rates does not do anything except create deadlier battles over pennies and advanced technology cannot force dumb money back in

So, are newbies (dumb money) actually rushing in or technology cannot force dumb money back in?

How did you figure out that, all of the sudden, people(or whoever) cut losses properly??
    I agree with Trend Fader. You make up stuff to fit your conclusions, and making contradicting statements doesn't bother you a bit.

#27     Jul 16, 2005
  8. Hydroblunt (or Anybody Else that works in a Stock Prop Shop),

Are you seeing more newbies come into your offices in 2005 versus other years? How are they doing? I would think starting after 2002 would be getting into the game a little late, missing the best years. I started in a prop shop in April 2002 just in time for last burst of high volatility. In 2003 and 2004 most traders in my shop either struggled or got out of the business or just did trading part time. For much of 2003-2004 I found I only made significant money trading the morning. In 2005 I switched to futures, still on the learning curve phase but making progress. I tip my cap to anybody making good money trading equities these days, they are a rare breed now.

#28     Jul 16, 2005
  9. Hey Load the boat,

Are you trading at a futures firm or are you trading on your own. How long have you traded stocks? How long have you been doing futures? I am a prop equities trader to and would like to diversify my trading. However I am trading remote now so I do not have anyone to show me the ropes with futures. I think it would be easier to watch futures traders and learn on the spot. Good luck with your futures trading.

#29     Jul 16, 2005
  10. Trading futures on my own for almost 3 months. Traded stocks for almost 3 years. I may eventually go prop with futures but we'll see.

#30     Jul 16, 2005