Trading breakouts, scanning for potential trades

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by hustler, Jan 24, 2007.

1. hustler

hustler

Thanks guys!

I am aware of that I could write own scans, problem is that I don't know how to really program this, how to define the range so that the software "understands" it.
    :(

So I hope I could find something that lets me avoid "reinvent the wheel".

#11     Jan 29, 2007
  2. Using TC2005 (TC2007 as they call it now) is simple.

This is my Congestion Breakout scan:

C > (C1 + .25) AND
    C > O AND
    V >= (1.5 * (AVGV50)) AND
    (C) > (MAXC30.1) AND
    ((MAXC30.1) - (MINC30.1)) / (MAXC30.1) <= 0.2

Running it tonight finds 93 stocks. Ones like TGI, CEC, CNA, ATI, CFC, ZMH and many others.

Personally, I use the TC2005 as a data feed into Amibroker (for a ton of reasons).

You can do the same in many different packages I am sure.

All the software folks have pretty good forums for support. And it's not that hard to learn how to create these type of scans.

Trade well,

MarketMonk

#12     Jan 30, 2007
  3. hustler

hustler

Thanks marketmonk, I'll play around with that, I use Amibroker also, I'll try to convert it to the AFL.

#13     Jan 30, 2007
  4. Hi,

Better yet, shoot me your email in a PM and I will send you my CBO AFL code.

You may have to modify it a tad as I use the TC2005 as the data feed and in the report columns I list the MG # and Industry name. But those should be easy to comment out.

Regards,

MM

#14     Jan 30, 2007
  5. hustler

hustler

MarketMonk, did you get my PM?

#15     Feb 5, 2007
  6. Hey Bro,

Give Stockfetcher a look (hxxp://www.stockfetcher.com replace xx with tt). You get EOD data during non market hours and 15 minute delayed data during market hours. You can screen the listed and OTC markets for any technical indicator or combination of indicators and once you've driven around the block with it a few times you'll be able to write your screens quickly; it's very user friendly and there are forums for the users. Best of all, it's $8.95 a month. You can also use it for free, the data is delayed 10 days for the free service. If you're after real-time intraday market screens, I got nothing! I'm not affiliated with Stockfetcher at all; I'm just a subscriber whose stock selection has improved greatly by using it.

A good friend of mine used to say, "This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while. --Bull Durham

#16     Feb 10, 2007
  7. If all else fails you can use the handy dandy Wizefinder by Wizetrade! Works like a charm. It scams (oops, meant to say scans 1000's of stocks for ya) and then lists the stocks with 3 green lights! yep. you guessed it. 3 green lights is better than only 2.

It's a handy dandy tool for the lazy investor who just wants a red light, green light approach to trading. The subscription to wizefinder is only about $100/month too!

The only thing I can't figure out about it is why the darned lines kept uncrossing on me after I bought or sold the stock based on its 'fresh cross'.

#17     Feb 10, 2007
  8. Scanthe market.com is delayed 10 days. all my scans on fetcher were up to the minute. Or maybe that was a glitch in the software that I stumbled into yesterday.

I even compared the results with my charting software.

#18     Feb 10, 2007