Trading Books

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by Brandonf, Sep 18, 2002.

1. I'm looking for some good reference/training material as well. I have heard about a couple books/videos by Toni Turner.

Any comments/feedback about her work?

#11     Sep 21, 2002
  2. I forgot to mention Joseph Harts' "Trend Dynamics"...Excellent manual on the intricacies of raw price action...

#12     Sep 21, 2002
  3. Vulture,

Do you know if that Koppell book is still in print?? -- Would love to get my hands on a copy...

TIA
    Commisso

#13     Sep 21, 2002
  4. It's hard to recommend a book, because most of the ones I found useful were helping me personally address a problem that I was trying to solve at the time. And even then, in most cases the whole book was not that good, but maybe there was one sentence that provided a key which unlocked a door which over time pays the 50 bucks I spent on the book back one point at a time.

Some of the titles are kind of embarrassing though, like "How You Can Make Millions off the Stupidity of Your Neighbor Who is Sitting on Your Sofa Reading the Title of This Book Right Now."

#14     Sep 21, 2002
  5. My opinions:

I've read a lot of books on trading, but I don't think there are many that are really worth their weight in shredded trees. I generally can classify all the books into several cateogories.

You have the "Hoo-Raa-Raa!" books that emphasize how great and wonderful and easy trading is. You have the "Informational" books that actually provide some information about the techniqalities of trading. Lastly, there are the "psychological" books that give a crash course in trading psychology.

The best book I have read was probably "Trading in the Zone" by Mark Douglas. Although Mark was obviously abused as a child and the fact that he rambles on and on at times, he does give a very good overview about the pscyhology of trading.

The worst book I have ever bought was "Rule the Freakin' Markets!" by Waxie. This entire book basically talks about how great he is, how analysyts SUCK DUDE and that you should buy low and sell high.

Waxie then puts a plug in for his worthless website, where he turns serious trading into a pump and dump scheme so he can cash out on his members trades.

Stock Operator was a great book, but it is somewhat out-dated. I would have loved to have read a book from this author concerning trading as it exists today.

#15     Sep 21, 2002
  6. I think it might have gone out of print. I lost this book along with Options: Perception and Deception and Trend Dynamics manuals(very expensive merchandise) during a move two years ago...

Interesting sidenote about the Koppell book...The day after I finished reading it and was really touched by the section about Koppell's own very difficult journey as a trader, I felt like writing him a letter to his company here in Chicago...lo and behold I was walking down the street about 3 blocks away from the CBOT and I passed right by the guy...Kinda freaked me out a bit...

Vulture

#16     Sep 21, 2002
  7. Syncronocity :)

Have you read his other works??? I think they are all solid...
    Tao of Trading and Intuitive Trader were both excellent, chock full of GREAT interviews with top traders...

Thanks for the info Vulture :)

I will try to find the book used and if I locate a couple copies I will be sure to let you know...

PEACE and good trading my friend,
    Commisso

BTW; You got extremely lucky last week and when we play again later in the year YOUR GONNA GET IT! :mad: :mad: :p

#17     Sep 21, 2002
  8. Seems like alot of people here at elite trader are always whining that there are no good trading books available. The real problem is that these people dont want to spend any money. Look over the Elite Trader book list, most these books average 30 bucks.
    Most of the good trading books are specialty items and your not gonna find them at Barnes N Noble or Borders.

For the ULTIMATE BOOK LIST try this thread but check around for the cheapest prices::

www.acrotec.com/books/booksforsale.html

STerling

#18     Sep 21, 2002
  9. yes, synchronicity I agree...But I will leave it at that before we both get labelled as wacko's...

I have read all of his books and I liked all of them at the time I read them...Bulls, Bears and Millionaires was a very good read and included some excellent interviews with traders a notch below the Market Wizards...

I did get lucky last week(lol)...but I have a feeling that Dante Culpepper will return to his previous form now that they have a new coach...Also, Deuce McCallister isnt bad...But looking at some of the lineups I have to go up against in the coming weeks, my money is that I finish the season around .500...

Vulture

#19     Sep 21, 2002
  10. ehhhh-----> give it a name :p

#20     Sep 21, 2002