Trading Books

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by Brandonf, Sep 18, 2002.

1. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

Everyone is curious as to what books they should read. I'm always interested in what books others find useful or entertaining too coz there is no way to hear about them all. I will start with my list of favorites, and anyone else please post too.

Market Wizards (all, though I think the last one (Stock Market Wizards, you could pass on) by Jack Schwagger

Street Smarts - by Linda Brandford Rashke and Larry Connors
    Daytrading with Short Term Price Patterns and Opening Range Breakouts - by Toby Crabel
    Technical Analysis - Richard Schabacker
    New Blueprint for Gains in Stocks and Grains & One-Way Formula for Stocks and Commodities - William Dunnigan
    Trader Vic - Victor Sperando
    Trading to Win - Ari Kiev
    A Plan for Daily Living - Ari Kiev
    The Art of Warriorship - Sun Tze
    The Stock Trader - Tony Oz
    The Master Swingtrader - Alan Farley
    How to Make Money in Stock - William O'neil

Brandon

2. Sun Tzu wrote: Art of War

I think you have an interpretation with a different title. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Book of Five Rings by Musashi Miyamoto

is great if you want to get into Samurai stuff.

3. My personal favorites (in no particular order);

1) Trading in the Zone -- Mark Douglas
    2) The Market Wizards 1&2 -- Jack Schwager
    3) The Tao of Trading -- Robert Koppel
    4) The Intuitive Trader-- Robert Koppel
    5) Rem of a Stock Operator -- Edwin Leferve

The biggest impact on my trading came from the following;
    The Tao Te Ching, The Baghavad Gita and Zen in the Art of Archery

Also two other great books;
    Mastery -- George Leonard
    Zen in the Art of Poker -- Larry Phillops

Edit; Forgot to add Tharp's "Trade your way to financial freedom" for helping me take a more "macro" statistical view of the game...

4. prox

prox

Based on the 8 or 9 that I own..

Japanese Candlestick Charting Techniques - Nison
    Trading for a Living - Elder
    When to Sell - Mamis

5. prox

prox

thanks for the list, I just bought 5 more books from Amazon. Gotta love cheap books.

6. Wow, out of ALL the trading books published, THIS makes into your top selections?!?

I, and most other serious traders (I have no doubt), would call this book one of the greatest all time trading jokes ever.
    Brandonf, PLEASE explain exactly what you found so helpful about this book. If you don't, believe me, you punch a big hole in your credibility (to people who actually know something about trading.)

7. Personally I think that book was a complete joke also BUT you lose no credibility points here :)

I had two people the other night that tried to tell me "Coming To America" was not funny at all :confused:
    I say whatever floats your boat or finds your lost remote :p

8. The obvious ones that most others will agree are very good reads:

Pit Bull
    Market Wizards(1&2)
    Reminiscences of a Stock Operator

A few that are also around, but not in wide circulation or are currently out of print:

Bulls Bears and Millionaires (Koppell)...similar to MW, but with some less well known traders and much more gut wrenching stories in a few cases...Still a good read

The Options Edge(Gallacher)...a good book and interesting look into the debate of premium sellers versus premium buyers...Guy is also a cynic's cynic...A good thing for a discerning writer, imo

Options: Perception and Deception(Cottle)...the best book I have read about options trading, and about trading in general...Had to read it in stages as I became more familiar with the intricacies of options trading...But as I read thru it, many of the sophisticated strategies that never seemed to make much sense suddenly appeared to have value as Cottle explained how to dissect positions...If you want to get into options, I think this book is the best...It is out of print, but I hear that Cottle has re-published it thru his new firm with the new title of "Shoulda, WOulda, Coulda"

9. J Commisso,

What did you learn from the the book Zen in the Art of Archery. Do you have experience in Eastern Archery?

#10     Sep 21, 2002