Trading book authors that operating a fund or themselves trade today?

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by Nana Trader, Jun 10, 2007.

1. what about the turtles ?

:)

#21     Jun 18, 2007

2. have any of those guys, who are still managing money, actually wrote a book??

surf

#22     Jun 18, 2007
  3. ktm

ktm

What was VN's return last year? Anyone?

He stopped reporting to Barclays after he got bit in May 2006 and I haven't read anything about his actual returns since. I'd at least like to know if I finally beat his return in 2006.

#23     Jun 18, 2007
  4. Yeah, fine, so tell us: has it taught you to "think about trading and the markets?" And if so, is there any demonstrable improvement in your trading out of this "combination of simplicity and depth?" Those are your words, so please back them up.

The reason I ask is because I read both books from cover to cover when they first came out and I got absolutely nothing out of either of them, aside from observing VN's penchant for preening. I wasn't looking specifically for a how-to book, even though both titles suggest that the content would be something other than mere self-aggrandizement.

"Required reading?" Please.

Forgive me, marketsmithers, but you are showing irrefutable signs of an advanced case of the Mr. Burns adoration complex. Worship at your peril if you must, but make no mistake: you do worship him. Your posts suggest something deeper than mere admiration.

#24     Jun 18, 2007
  5. Maverick74

Maverick74

Yes this is very annoying. I think there needs to be a law passed of some sort that says if you agree to report your numbers to a hedge fund or CTA database that you commit to a certain time period that you must report. This system is so corrupt where managers only report when their numbers are good and simply stop reporting when their numbers are bad. This has to stop. There is no integrity in the system. If you don't want to report your numbers, fine. But if you are going to report them and use the good times to raise more cash then you have to be on the hook for at least a 2 or 3 year period.

#25     Jun 18, 2007
  6. hahahaha---- i don't agree, but i do agree that you are one funny cat! :)

entering almost any trader,money management, or broker firm in the late 90's one would find "education of a speculator" on the shelf--- this is fact, not hyperbole. may i suggest that read the multiple reviews on amazon wherein the vast majority are postive.http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cu...s=books&qid=1182190014&sr=8-1#customerReviews

i'm sorry that you just don't get it and are not able to draw lessons from these great books. perhaps a career in comedy would be more to your liking??

regards,

surf:p

#26     Jun 18, 2007
  7. That's all well and good and I appreciate the compliment, but you still did not answer the question I asked in my earlier post.

As for Amazon reviews, I have learned to take those with a grain of salt or two. As for VN's books being on traders' shelves, that means fairly little. They are on my bookshelf as well but I consider them to be a sunk cost in dust jackets.

#27     Jun 18, 2007