Trading as a Full Time Career

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by TradingBillions, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Generally, what are the pro's and con's of trading full time?

2. Make sure u get it checked by the lawyer since u r new in it .

3. GBL

GBL

less time available driving around in the convertible and picking up street whores.

4. Pros: if you are the hard working, emotinally stable type = access to unlimited $$$, limited only by your desire...

Cons: who cares about it if you're doing it right. (I guess the cons are that, most likely your sorry ass couldn't cut it as a trader).

5. +'s:
    + You get a 'feel' for your markets quicker
    + The more time in the field, the shorter the learning curve
    + You act like a business owner

-'s:
    - Trading full time requires much more than the 'standard' 40 hr work week
    - If you don't make it, a lot of time is gone

6. The pro's are pretty obvious, although not easily attained. An unlimited upside earnings potential and the freedom and independence of a true entrepreneur, all without buying a "franchise" (with big $$) or having to deal with employees or the public...not having to have your "game face" on all the time. You have a very limited downside compared to most business ventures.

But, it does take work, and lots of it. You need to be trained well, associate yourself with a winning group of people who already make a living trading - and sift through all the nonsense spouted by those who have tried and failed.

And, trading is fun and challenging at the same time - keeps your brain working!

Don

7. HotTip

HotTip

Pros
    - Great hours (on the west coast). I'm done by 1:30pm and have the rest of the day to play with my kid
    - No pffice politics
    - Don't have to kiss up to anyone
    - Zero commute (assuming you work from home). That alone added back 2hrs/day to my life
    - Better earning potential
    - Being self-employed opens up all kinds of deductions

Cons
    - Can be very emotional on a daily basis
    - Can collapse and fail at any time
    - Causes huge trepidation when you hit the inevitable rough spot
    - If you trade from home, tough to come up with work excuses to tell the wife to stay out late or go on trips
    - All those damn taxes to pay! :D