Trading as a career.

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by highlandercrew, Feb 20, 2004.

1. I have read a lot of posts and threads on ET regarding college graduates looking to go into trading with a steady job offer on the other hand. From what I have read, it seems as if people who trade for a living hate their jobs. I don't understand why traders on this site would be discouraging young ambitious college grads whether Ivy League or State School from going after their interests and passions. Is the life of a trader miserable. I understand the odds are against new guys, but I also think it is the best opportunity for young hungry individuals to go after their dreams when they don't have a spouse or offspring to support as well as other financial responsibilities. I start prop trading in June and I am optimistic but am also realistic that I may not succeed and I am fine with that because I will know that I had given it my best shot. I dont think it is the end of the world if a young trader fails, I mean time was wasted and opportunities were thrown away but atleast you went after your ambitions. Am I just a naive kid or do I have a point or does anyone care. Take care fellas.

2. ertrader1

ertrader1 Guest

I think you have it in a nutshell. However, your looking at the wrong place for people who trade for a living. This site has a few, say under 5% of the 20, 000 or so members do it for an actual living......you can just tell by their post.

Ur with a prop shop now, stick with those guys you trade with, and others that you actually know do it for a living.

The only point , the few who do this for a living, are trying to make is that its not as easy as it was described back in the Internet run....99. The stories of the 9 to 5er retiring his stapler and TPS reports to trade, or the tow truck driver that has his very own island, or the NYC cab driver that drives and trades, (we have a few of those yahoos on this site) while he works, or the long haired skater who happens to have a limo driver towing his boat.........OVER.

If you have any questions please ask ReardenMedal......this guy made more than you anyone on this scrub site, as i sat by and watched him.....now he is playing online poker and is looking at a good a solid two digit days once again.

3. highlandercrew:

yeah, there's nothing wrong with trying out an opportunity like trading. But here's the problem. If you FAILED at trading when you first got out of school, then what would you do???

At least if you worked for a company and learned some useful or employable skills, then when you went out to trade, you can always go back. But if all you did in your first two years of post-college years and professional years was to daytrade, then future employers would not find your resume to be too appetizing. I'm just telling ya what I see.

I'm just telling as I see it. Obivously, you might succeed and do really well.

who knows..

misc

4. BSAM

BSAM

Man....Seems like there sure is a lot of fresh, new liquidity.....er, ah.....I mean traders getting into the market lately. That's good, huh?:cool:

5. your name wouldn't happen to be a reference to the boat, would it ??

:) :D :)

6. ertrader1

ertrader1 Guest

Yes fresh new liquidity , i mean traders coming back.....lol

However, the last post about post college carrer is stupid. Who the hell truly gives a shit what some corporation mid level manager is going to tell you about how he feels that the daytrader wasted two years of their life trying it out....how fucking stupid.

You know how many interview I went on before i became a trader, and how many i walked out of because the suite and tie at the other end of the desk was a fu#@ moron.

The last thing i would worry about is what some fortune 500 company's hiring monkey is going to think about your first two years of trying to trade. LOL.......

This is the mindset you want to stay away from, clowns in the suites who think like robots and train monkeys for a living....that would be my last concern.......shit, its hard enough to get a job with an MBA thats worth the shit on the back heal of your shoes let alone worrying about what they will think if you failed at trading.

:D

7. ertrader1

ertrader1 Guest

"At least if you worked for a company and learned some useful or employable skills, then when you went out to trade, you can always go back."

Bwhaahahahaahah what a fuking joke that statement is......PASS THE STAPLER PLEASE....lol

8. ertrader1

ertrader1 Guest

Watch the movie OFFICE SPACE,,,,,,that says it all,,,,

Ummmm Yeaahhhhh I need you to come in on saturday and Im gona need you to come in Sunday as well.....oh yea, remeber its the same time as always, 8 am sharp.

bwhahahaa

:D

9. There you have it! 5%! Do you like those odds? In my experience people who either naturally had the knack or had the smarts and worked their ass off made it. Perserverance and Good mentor(s) are a commonality.

10. ertrader1,

The spelling is "suit". Not "suite". No wonder they didn't think much. hehe. LOL. J/K.

I know what ya mean. I'm trading now. I used to work in a corporate environment as well. But here's a kid who is asking an HONEST opinion. So, I tell it as I see it. Don't get all fussy cuz you didn't do well on a job interview.

Nothing wrong with trading for a living. Just that the success rate is so low. That some if NOT many people are better off getting something that is more suited for them. Maybe they are better as a beancounter or sales guy or IT guy or programmer or engineer or manager or project lead etc etc. You get the idea. Not everyone is cut out for trading. And just because they failed at trader does NOT reflect badly on them.

It's just that it's better to have a backup in life...

misc

#10     Feb 20, 2004