Trading and Psychophysics

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Arthur Deco, Jan 9, 2008.

1. A few videos already exist of Jack as he trades in real time. To be perfectly honest, I am not sure who has them or where they currently sit (on the net). I think someone linked to them in the Futures Journal (some time ago), but do not recall the exact location of the link. Others (TIKITRADER comes to mind), posted their own videos at the end of 2007. These are linked through the Futures Journal, and TIKITRADER made several videos at the end of the year. I plan to record a trading day (or at least part of one) when I have more time. I had hoped to do so before the end of 2007, but unexpected events (Grandmother's worsening Alzheimer’s) reduced my available 'online' time. I'll get around to it sooner or later, but until then, SCT isn't the beginning, or even a goal for most people. SCT is a consequence of the learning process. By that I mean, even if one never develops the ability to stay 'always in' all day long, the market provides plenty of opportunity to use the lessons described from a purely enter / exit perspective (e.g. Enter on a Point Three with increasing Volume & Exit when Price touches the Left Trend Line). Many people (they posted their blotters and execution reports) followed this paradigm to extract profits from the market as indicated in the December posts.

Good Trading to you.

- Spydertrader

#41     Jan 11, 2008
  2. Spyder,

Thanks for your reply. I think I'll wait for your video, since you are ET's authority on the subject, for all intents and purposes. Jack and I don't speak the same language. Please let us know here if and when you complete it.

I'm very sorry about your grandmother. I can only imagine how difficult it must be for you and your family.

#42     Jan 11, 2008
  3. Condolences also. And thanks for describing the simple version of the method in a mere seventeen words. Very eloquent.

#43     Jan 11, 2008
  4. Vienna

Vienna

One thing I am working on is Visual Clarity... meaning, a completely consistent environment with the minimum amout of indicators (1 to be precise) and the charts always scaled the same way on screen.
    Then, screentime will slowly school your brain and give you a feeling of "if A happens, B is likely to happen", but you will never get there if you keep changing the environment, the indicators or even the scale...

I fully believe that Jack and probably others can look at their multiple data sets- confusing to others- and intuitively see the Gestalt and respond to it... like a bushman who sees, hears and smells certain things and knows exactly what it means when others would see nothing...the sports memory thing... why not if you have done it for many years? But for me, simplicity and consistency is key.
    I do use sounds when the market reaches certain target zones.

#44     Jan 11, 2008
  5. Vienna, thanks for sharing your philosophy. As my students here know, my most famous statement is a shameless paraphrase of Carl Jung: "All trading is autobiography." Your trading speaks well of your character.

#45     Jan 11, 2008
  6. Given the recent positive responses to audible trading, I will share another gem with you. I use the .wav sounds Blip, Ding, cowbell and Boing to represent spreads from 3 to 6 ticks. An easily recognized scale in terms of horribleness. The key to setting audibles is to have them represent as nearly as possible in sound the visual shape of the corresponding event. For example, Ratchpop is great for a reversal.

#46     Jan 11, 2008
  7. Also I suppose it is safe to share, since so few here are actually reading this, my latest trading alert innovation. The trading industry is second only to the sex industry as a powerhouse of technological innovation. Throughout history, the sex industry has jumped on the bandwagon of new technologies and popularized them for the benefit of civilization. From the graphic arts through print to photography to film to video tape and DVD's, the sex industry has been in the forefront. As a cross-over afficionado of both industries, I am experimenting with body cavity electrical stimulator devices to expand alerts into the kinesthetic realm. These devices can be driven by a standard audio input, and hence can represent stimuli equally complex as aural stimuli, up to the frequency limit of tissue responsivity. A variety of attachments are available from clips to bulbs. The possibility exists also of using such a device in an appropriate orifice as a Pavlovian conditioner to reinforce good trading habits and discourage bad ones. I shall report on progress as it occurs.

#47     Jan 11, 2008
  8. Well, that would identify and explain certain pain-in-the-ass moves in the market.

#48     Jan 11, 2008
  9. You may laugh, but you have not fully lived until you have experienced Tchaikovsky's "1812 Overture" at full electrostimulation amplification. But one must be careful not to let the lubricant sizzle.

#49     Jan 11, 2008
  10. Vienna

Vienna

I would not suggest Bruckner's "Hammerklavier" or anything similar... the experience would be as close as you can get to being raped in prison.

#50     Jan 11, 2008