Trading and Psychophysics

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Arthur Deco, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Janed, thank you for exemplifying the non-verbal perceptor. It is my privilege to teach you how to spell "tactile". But I do agree with you that mouse activity provides kinesthetic feedback. The simple necessity to rescale or recenter the chart is proof of market motion.

#11     Jan 10, 2008
  2. Joab, I can readily understand why you needed years of NLP training to achieve your limited understanding. Wash your hog and keep the wash. And never forget that the Bible was written by semites indistinguishable from today's ragheads.

#12     Jan 10, 2008
  3. Sum of Sam, Jack also advocates hand charting. You'll be finished with today's one minute chart just in time to start trading tomorrrow morning. Your comment hearkens back to my youth, when I gained precious kinesthetic understanding of base 10 logarithms while whipping my sliderule back and forth performing engineering calculations.

#13     Jan 10, 2008
  4. If I might be allowed to continue, as I said, we begin to develop visual chart overload when we recognize the need for an adjunct to pure unfiltered price to ascertain whether this or that reversal has the legs to make a profitable trade. We learn that necessity either by testing or the hard way. Some traders will add a volume pane and go down the rathole of volume divination, burrowing mole-like down to Dante's seventh hell, never to be seen again. Most others will "improve" price with price derivatives, much like financial derivatives improved the mortgage market. In either case or in others, inevitably they end up with study stacked upon study, so that price itself can barely be seen. There is no end of analysts to "help" them. Indicators begat as in Genesis: SMA, EMA, VWMA, smoothed MA, MA rainbow, adaptive MA, the bloodline will never expire. And indicators rain from trade publication heaven in a neverending plague of frogs. The trade screen now being filled with price and/or volume derivatives to the limit of the legibility of the grandest monitor floorspace one can afford, the challenge becomes one of deciding which indicators to look at in which order, and how often. I will continue on the non with an example from the Hershey canon.

#14     Jan 10, 2008
  5. Joab

Joab

NLP was also founded by a Semite you moron !!!!

Careful with your games or I will put a Bandler voodoo hex on you.

btw, I have reported this thread and you to the Jewish defense league, kind of our version of the mafia but with lawyers. We don't take to slanderous bigot comments like this too lightly.:cool:

#15     Jan 10, 2008
  6. Grinder was the brains of the operation, Bandler was just a huckster. Don't forget which was the mathemagician. And in the spirit of ecumenicism, let me state that like my countryman LBJ, whose campaign motto in NYC was "Little Bit Jewish", so am I. By way of a desperate Cherokee of the Lost Tribe.

#16     Jan 10, 2008
  7. Now I wish to use my fond recollections of early SCT writings as an example of the need to transition some trading information from the visual sphere to the auditory cube. I currently enjoy early-onset Alzheimer's, so bear with me on the details. As we say in Texas, "If it ain't true, it oughta be".

Jack had at least the following:

5 minute ES chart
    ES volume pane
    custom stochastics pane
    RSI pane
    depth of market window
    5 minute INDU chart
    fast YM chart

annotated with:

volume thresholds for DU and VDU
    trend lines and the associated channels
    volume trend lines ("gaussians")

plus all the things going on in his head unassisted by charting (if A then B, two pairs, straight flushes, etc.)

I am forgetting or misremembering something, because I once counted 14 things he had to watch.

Now Jack is a very smart guy for his age (older than dirt), and an NLP afficianado like me, so he knew his Dirty Harry philosophy and his limits. And he devised a scheme for periodically "sweeping" all his indicators. My presumption being that his trading universe was too large to grasp tout d'un coup, impossible to form a gestalt from a single glance.

In my own even more absurdly complicated system (11 panes, 33 separate codes, many hundreds of SLOCs, more lines on the screen than on Keith Richards' face), I tried visual "sweeping". It didn't work. First, I could never remember the order. Second, I couldn't resolve conflicts between indicators. Third, I always missed something despite using eye-catching colors (deep sea green, lemon chiffon). So in desperation I started using simple audible alerts. That helped, but the breakthrough was to combine consistent indicators in code and to use unique audibles for each combination. More to cum.

#17     Jan 10, 2008
  8. ElCubano

ElCubano

really? I've never read it...........

what exactly is "master your life"??

#18     Jan 10, 2008
  9. Dr. Deco,

You make a splendid case for simplification.

#19     Jan 10, 2008
  10. Easy-Signal has a .wav file with laughter. You have motivated me to use it. Perhaps when ALL of my codes disagree with each other.

#20     Jan 10, 2008