Trading and having kids

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Family of Man, Jun 7, 2009.

1. jd7419

jd7419

Go take your long term only sob story and peddle it to someone who gives a shit. This is a trading forum made up of traders who trade for a living. If you want to talk long term bullshit take it to yahoo or motley fool boards.

#11     Jun 8, 2009
  2. cookding

cookding

I think one of my Buddhist teachers who is now 89 years old said in his book: (something like this)

"We spent the early part of our life trying to learn stuff that supposed to bring us happiness. Then we spent time trying to do them. We either fail unhappily and succeed but want even more because there is so much more out there... being not happy with what we have. Then we die. This is basic human history."

Spent time and being there for your kids is obviously many times more important especially in the beginning.

#12     Jun 8, 2009
  3. You are married and you have kids :eek:

#13     Jun 8, 2009
  4. ElCubano

ElCubano

Human nature has a tendency to live life either in the past or in the future. Always looking back or loooking forward. It's been ingrained in our heads to plan, build and worry about whats around the corner or feel happiness about the good times we've had in the past trying to repeat them. Sometimes causing our todays to carry alot of pressure and undue stress.

I know I dont make any sense....peace

#14     Jun 8, 2009
  5. Sushi

Sushi

good luck. Pay no mind to jd7419. Lots of mental illness in this business

#15     Jun 8, 2009
  6. Kudos to you for realizing being a good dad is important.

I'm in a similar situation, though my son just entered his teen years and pretty much takes care of himself. That being said, he still requires things during the day, but understands that this is my work day and I am to be interrupted only when something more serious than "Dad, do we have any more milk?" comes up. I understand you don't have that luxury.

I might recommend that if able, get much of your research done on the weekend when the wife is home and able to take care of the kiddos. Now if you're purely daytrading, I guess that doesn't help much, but at the least you can look at the setups you wish to trade.

Best of luck to you!

#16     Jun 8, 2009
  7. andyen

andyen

my daughter is now 7 months old, she´s supersweet but timeconsuming. i trade 100% automated, so during the day i just check the computer from time to time and work on my systems at night. and to add some discretionary pepper i place one binary forex bet everyday at exact the same time.

#17     Jun 8, 2009
  8. jd7419

jd7419

Wasn't insulting the OP. I have an 11 month old daughter myself and employ a babysitter fulltime. My comments were directed at CGgarcia who constantly makes comments that short term trading doesn't work.

#18     Jun 8, 2009
  9. +1 :)

#19     Jun 8, 2009
  10. Appreciate the comments and suggestions. I’ve considered and actually started to re-dabble on the swing trading side. I started this way and never really felt comfortable nor done well. I’m personally more wired to cash out by day’s end with an eye toward the overnight news where I can start fresh and have a better feel without having to worry about getting buried in the morning. It’s a comfort thing. That said I’m currently holding a small stash in SDS expecting S&P to hold 950.

The kids are here to stay so let it be, we’ll see how this swing thing goes, maybe it’s the change I need. It should be noted too that my wife is accommodating when she can be and am fortunate she’s not up my draws about it like some can be. Like some of you have either said or eluded, there is no better investment a guy can make than being a good dad.
    The markets aren’t going anywhere.

This is actually slightly therapeutic
    :p

#20     Jun 9, 2009