Trading and Emotions

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by BuySellSideTrader2020, Nov 8, 2018.

Have you been through a similar situation?

1. Yes

85.7%
  2. No

14.3%
  1. #11     Nov 8, 2018
  2. jnbadger

jnbadger

I don't trade futures. I only trade stocks which are trading on higher than normal volume. I've been trading a live simulated account through IB which is linked to Trade Ideas. Quite honestly, I've been losing a lot of fake money lately.

Manual trading is going well, but I'm 51, and it's getting old.

#12     Nov 8, 2018
  3. John9999

John9999

same but not exactly the same is when I just get worn out, usually around Friday... for me it is best to just shut it off, literally turn off the chart programs and everything. When I trad in a fatigued state I mess up

#13     Nov 8, 2018
    murray t turtle likes this.
  4. %%
    Yes; true for anyone , because accounts, like markets, trend.Maybe worse for a sensitive young man like me .''Need to trade''?? You must mean profit trade?? Get out or so- size small //minimum if you are not hitting trends right.Actually anyone can chose his thoughts; but that is another thread.Hope this helps...........................................................................:caution::caution:Of course that only if you have a good win or hit rate%, not necessary to profit; if you average 50% hit rate,or less, may not want to cut back, but i would, if i could not start early.

#14     Nov 8, 2018
  5. Specterx

Specterx

Trading is like any other high-pressure, high-performance activity, if you don't have your head fully in the game then winning is going to be really difficult.

Ongoing relationship problems are also IMO one of the worst things to deal with when it comes to trading, because it's constantly lurking in the background and you can't really move on until either the problems are resolved, or the relationship ends.

My advice is to take some time off (maybe through year end) to focus on dealing with your relationship issues one way or another. If you want to use the time productively then backtest a new system, or modifications to your old system, or do a long-term sweeping performance review, or read some new trading/investment books, etc. The markets will still be here when you get back.

#15     Nov 8, 2018
  6. chart pig

chart pig

Exactly. Nothing more needs to be said.

#16     Nov 8, 2018
    wrbtrader likes this.
  7. imjohn

imjohn

I've experienced various stresses in my personal life. I can think of no greater stresses in life than those which come from a struggling or failed relationship.

With regards to trading, my reactions to various stresses have been:

-to become despondent over an ordinary string of losses (one which is inevitable and expected)
    -to momentarily forget the "bigger picture"
    -to miss or skip valid signals if I can't keep my mind focused on the task at hand

But essentially, trading for me is just "pushing a button" whenever I see one of my entry signals. Of course, the difficult issues which occur in my personal life have no bearing whatsoever on the probability of the next trade working in my favor.

I sometimes need to get a grip, hit the mental "reset" button, and focus on the simple task of waiting for / taking my signals.

If the mornings are the worst time for you, perhaps try starting your mornings earlier, so that your mind has time to adjust prior to the trading session. A bit of physical exercise may help alleviate some tension, as well.

Hang in there.

EDIT--
    Many styles of trading. For my specific style, as a day trader, it does not feel high-performance or high-pressure. Quite the contrary. Though if it were such, I'm not sure how I would respond while dealing with strong emotions.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    #17     Nov 8, 2018
    tommcginnis likes this.
  8. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

It's so simple...maybe you're just not wanting to deal with the answer that I'm sure you already know.

Resolve the situation so that you have stability in your "mindset" while trading...while you're resolving the problem...do not trade at all. Do not even open up your broker trade execution platform.

Seriously, do not let one of the most common reasons why retail traders fail...their inability to control their emotions while trading. The first step in doing that is to resolve the problems prior to trading.

Take a look at social media (including this forum) today being used by traders. There's often "angry messages", "emotional messages" during the trading day. That kind'uv behavior will eventually impact their trading.

If you were engage or had many years with her...go seek joint relationship counseling from a professional. If not...move on or just shut it down especially if you're serious about trading. Take break from the markets and get involve with your hobbies or other activities until you don't see those emotions creeping into those hobbies too.

Next, slowly return back to trading with lower position size to see where your discipline level is at...to see if you're back in control.

wrbtrader

#18     Nov 9, 2018
    tommcginnis likes this.
  9. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

This is not a thread about Trading & Emotions so much as it is about Trading & Relationships. And issues in our relationships demand that we
    1) make sense of them, and
    2) resolve them.

Certainly, others are rarely in a position to help in 'resolving' relationship issues.
    But as far as making sense of them -- perhaps some insight.....

You only have so much attention.

We hear all the time about Attention Deficit woes -- what malarkey. Somehow, the human species has gotten this far without declaring itself in a Disorder all the time.

But what the teachers lament as Attention Deficit Disorder, is simply the student's active decision to direct some of their limited attention assets to things which the teacher does not approve. It is not an Attention Deficit so much as an Attention Budget Misappropriation.

So, how's your own Attention Budget, today?

Everyone on this thread agrees that approaching the market with less than 100% attention available is handicapping yourself (and your account) right from the start. Not. Good.

For myself in a similar 'relationship' crisis during a trading day, a first question that would run cycles around and around in my brain, would be something like, "Why?" Why is this happening? Why are we in conflict? Why has our relationship taken this bad turn?.... And as I'd never thought about the mechanics of relationships, I was confusing and conflating cause and effect, a lot. So I had to figure that out first.

And what I came up with was an architectural construct -- a foundation of respect, three walls of trust, honesty, and (most important) loyalty, and a hearty roof of big-hearted love. So! If you get all sorts of lovey-dovey statements, but are routinely shown disrespect -- that relationship is *broken*. And if you yourself claim great affections for someone, but don't *trust* them, "*broken*". You get the idea.

And things don't have to be perfect -- frame 'em out and call the imperfections 'windows' and 'doors'! As long as the whole hangs together.

This idea won't solve any relationship problem, but if it can reduce the time, the effort, the drag on your available Attention in just figuring the whole puzzle out? Then that would be a good thing.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    #19     Nov 9, 2018
  10. Sprout

Sprout

Tom I like how you write even though I have a different perspective.

From my pov, attention is a function of focus and choice. We get to choose what we put our focus upon. There’s both a quality and quantity component to that function based on an inherent value system one has built through experiences.

The architectural model you’ve outlined creates a frame. A frame of ‘conditions.’ Conditions that when met are approved by the giving of Love. That is conditional love and it gives over one’s power to behavior in another that one has futile control over.

It’s what humans have been conditioned to do - if (the other) behaves in predictable ways, then the ‘I’ will Love and approve of ‘you.’

However there is another way of relating. A way of relating that insures that we have our needs met by the very things we do have control over.

“Why do we want things?”

An alternative perspective is that simply for what we believe those things will makes us feel in the having if it.

To relate it to your example, then it is to feel Love first and foremost and those other qualities will naturally arise in the other as a response to what could be considered a simple choice in what one focuses their own attention upon.

In other words, when a relationship is in disharmony, a general game being played is ‘find the bad guy.’ Hurt people hurt people.

To break that cycle of why the other is at fault, simply choosing to focus on the positive aspects of the relationship gets one back into feeling good feeling thoughts about the other pretty quickly.

Sometimes taking a break from a relationship is the fastest way, by asserting a boundary of spacetime. Even then, one can still be thinking about the disharmony even though it’s not within one’s physical proximity.

A quicker and more reliable way is to take a break from one’s own ‘monkey mind’ by choosing to focus and pay attention on the ‘space in between thoughts,’ as a way to reset. Another way to reset, is simply to engage in a different activity that one naturally feels good about.

After one resets, then by directing the positive direction of one’s thoughts through choice and focus, all the feelings one wishes to feel are a generative action from within and not a reflexive response to the environment.

Here on ET, I am challenged by what I am describing and for certain chronically negative personalities choose to subscribe to your notion of an attention budget and use the ignore/block function.

#20     Nov 9, 2018