Trading and Dating

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by jackson1234, Jul 24, 2006.

1. JA_LDP

JA_LDP

[​IMG]

#561     Apr 12, 2007
  2. I crashed a funeral
    earlier, and l...

(crowd Gasps!) Oh, Jesus.

It wasn't my idea. I was basically dragged to it. I went with Chaz, who you forgot to tell me is totally insane... He also might be a genius because it actually does work. He's cleaning up...

Grief is nature's most powerful aphrodisiac... Look it up.

#562     Apr 13, 2007
  3. Here you go..........The way the big fish play:

from traders monthly

surfer

Dr. Alden Cass

Natural Selection Speed Dating

A recent evening in New York paired well-vetted beauties with well-off men judged only by the size of their portfolio. Barbaric? Or brilliant?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last Wednesday night, a small sampling of your colleagues parted with $500 for an evening that promised to be worthy of their time. The event -- appropriately billed as “Natural Selection Speed Dating” -- was sponsored by New York Magazine, Cupid.com, Janis Spindel’s Serious Matchmaking and PocketchangeNYC.com.

On the surface, this gathering at Bruno Jamais’ posh restaurant/gentleman’s club appeared the perfect affair for a guy like Too Picky Trader or maybe even Shallow Hal. On a typical night, Bruno’s New York City restaurant tends to draw a male crowd of 45-60 year olds with women counterparts sometimes half their age. To further paint the picture for you, the scene is like the New York version of Miami Beach’s “The Forge,” where graying men roll in with thick wallets and spend money rather freely on women young enough to be their daughters.

”Natural Selection Speed Dating” captured nationwide attention from men and women, all of whom were vying for an opportunity to meet a potential “mirror image” in the opposite sex. It was described by its hosts as a chance for women to land rich, successful, powerful men. In return, the men got four-minute interactions with beautiful model types. Political correctness was clearly put on hold for the night and this was the real deal.

The room was filled with men who appeared concerned with a woman’s looks above all else, and ladies who seemed hell bent on trying to snag a millionaire. If you think about it, no one admits to motives in such a blunt fashion anymore because of the likelihood of offending someone or looking shallow.

As expected, the event was not without objection from feminist groups that found it inappropriate and offensive, according to one of the organizers, Jeremy Abelson. He said he received a few threatening calls and emails from angry women. They felt this speed-dating promotion would succeed only in illuminating the shallowness of society and setting the women’s movement back 20 years.

It made me think of the poor male traders who couldn’t even afford to participate in this event. It’s humorous to think of an organized group of poor male traders like Bitter and Out $4,000, offended because they were discriminated against based on salary. Despite this minor controversy, a tremendous amount of positive hype preceded the event by some very intrigued media outlets. CBS News, Good Morning America, CNN, and even some networks interested in a reality show made an appearance.

I had the chance to interview both Jeremy Abelson of Pocketchange.com and the top-notch celebrity matchmaker, Janis Spindel, after the event closed. Janis told me she screened more than 950 applications from women nationwide. Each application comprised photos, some very provocative and some tasteful, to be sifted through for surface beauty. It was emphasized that no other information such as educational background or profession would help a woman’s chance of making it through the looks competition. The men were examined solely on wealth. Here is the breakdown of what men and women had to endure in order to be speed dating worthy on this night.

Men
    Salary Requirements
    Age 25 or below: $200K+
    26-30: $300K+
    30+: $500K+
    Invested Assets: $1 million+
    Trust: $4 million+
    Men were asked to provide documented proof
    Ticket price: $500

Women
    5 pictures submitted to Pocket Change for judgment by celebrity Matchmaker Janis Spindel
    Pictures were judged for beauty
    No additional information was accepted

Ticket Price: $50

40 men and 40 women were selected after this lengthy application process. According to Jeremy, the average male speed dater was 40 years of age and worth $50-60 million. Not too shabby if you ask me! Many worked in the hedge-fund world, in real estate, or came from large trust funds. They were described as wealthy playboy types who were there for entertainment.

Though time-starved from work, they were reportedly not incapable of getting dates out in the real world. The women’s average age was 27 and, according to Janis Spindel, they were “bona fide impressive professionals and models.” On paper, the table was set for mutual attraction and sexuality. The process was well-structured albeit intense -- each conversation was to last 4 minutes and each individual would meet 32 other potential matches.

According to Janis and Jeremy, at least two pairs left the event together and a few other potential romances blossomed. I asked them if they thought any long-term relationships might come from this event. Jeremy responded by saying, “That depends how you define ‘long-term.’ I know many men who view it as being 12 hours.”

I have a feeling that all the attendees got what they paid for that night. No one deluded themselves into thinking that all of their dreams would be answered, but they did adhere to the principles of responsible narcissism. Interestingly enough, every divorce attorney I knew wanted to get a list of the attendees for this event. I guess they’ll just have to camp out next year in hopes of handing out business cards.

alden cass

2/15/07:D :p :D :D

#563     Apr 15, 2007
  4. #564     Apr 15, 2007
  5. ===================
    Jackson12;
    What makes you think they think gambler;
    if they mistakenly confuse [or say] gambling with trading/investing, you probably could tactfully tell them the many differences.

Most women like conversation;
    you could simplify LUV airlines hedging in derivatives market with some written prep/notes.Dont mention LUV airlines by name if you are not serious.

And my banker Dad told me something long ago,''murray you are to sensative''Jackson you are too sensitive also.

LOOKING
    :cool: at both sides of the trade, why do you think ''do you make a living ou t of it'' is not a fair question?????????????????????
    Say youre full time market; thats an opportunity to ''sell ''yourself, not pull back in a turtle shell.Nothing against turtles you understand?????

Sure its a fair question and probably says something of the other persons intelligence to ask that of any self employed .

:cool:

#565     Apr 15, 2007
  6. gam1111

gam1111

I think women are very intuitive. Meaning they are reading you and your emotional state when you are talking about trading. If you speak about it and they a vibe of uncertainty or jitteriness, their next questions comes with skepticism about your success level.

Re: Trading
    Each trading style has its own level of risk, drawdown level etc.

You have to be honest with yourself if you can guarantee a certain level of income to support a possible wife and children.

I know its hard to ascertain what the year will bring. It will vary.

Maybe you should avoid talking about your job. Tell them you work for a bank or that you work in Finance. Don't go into any detail beyond that.

#566     Apr 15, 2007
  7. Moreagr

Moreagr

Hi Jackson,

It is great to read that you have had success with your women of choice. the traits you have stated are a mans dream.... may I ask were you found them... it jsut seems the prob of find one with all these traits are near impossible :confused:

If i could knock out 3 of 5 I would have struck gold.

#567     Apr 15, 2007
  8. Yes I banged her senseless, plenty of booty slapping and hair pulling !! :D :D

I hear you man. The one I am interested in now is a real sweet, family girl, someone who has potential as a LTR. So I am pretty much being myself, but being careful not to fall into the needy/nice guy of old. It's a fine balance.

You are right, I have been too sensitive and worried what other people think. I'm also modest so don't like to go into too much detail, whereas I think a lot of guys build themselves up with their career/achievements.

I never talk about money, but let them know I have a great lifestyle and pretty much do what I want (within reason). I think that lets them know I am doing ok for myself without bragging.

Yes they are intuitive. I've decided to be completely open about what I do, tell them the pros/cons if they want to know more. If they don't like the lifestyle of a trader well it would never work out anyway.

I met these 2 on internet dating sites, one has since dropped off but things are looking positive with the other one. You wouldn't believe the amount of crap I had to sift through to get to these two though. 99% it seems have ridiculous expectations relative to what they are offering.

#568     Apr 15, 2007
  9. Quality advice here, boys.

Read and learn, it may be hard to understand the logic behind this, but it's so true it's not even funny.

It's not about the money but the success, passion & ambition. Those women who actually care about the dollar figure are gold diggers and nothing more than prostitutes in denial. Money may seem to be a measure of success, but in today's world of nepotism, croneyism and trust fund babies, it's just not accurate anymore.

If you love what you do, are confident about it and it shows, it's attractive. You can be a teacher making peanuts and women will fall for you.

Alternatively, learn how to dance, get an attractive female friend who can also, and go out.

Good for you and congrats.

#569     Apr 15, 2007
  10. Dancing class is perhaps the best place to find attractive and lonely women. The competition is slim since many of the fellow men dancers are gays .... hence, your chances get amplified. :D :D :D

#570     Apr 15, 2007