Trading and Dating/social status

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by Robertwiz, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Visaria

Visaria

:D Didn't notice the spelling!

#51     Jun 6, 2011
  2. Very well said. Exactly what i was thinking. If your doing well, a nice Luxury/exotic vehicle should shut anyone up. I mean, its unfortunate, but its about results and showing that hey, forget everything you have heard about this profession, but people are doing it big out here.

#52     Jun 6, 2011
  3. DT-waw

DT-waw

"We live as we dream, alone".

A trader is so incredibly alone... no one understands what he is doing.

Show people your great car or apartment without mortgage- they'll instantly become jealous.

Here's the best video about why you should never care about what society thinks about you.

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/O9we864sMns" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"
    Society has exploited the individual in so many ways that it is almost impossible to believe. It has created devices so clever and cunning that it is almost impossible even to detect that they are devices. These devices are to exploit the individual, to destroy his integrity, to take away from him all that he has got &#8211; without even creating a suspicion in him, even a doubt about what is being done to him.

Jealousy is one of those tremendously powerful devices. From the very childhood every society, every culture, every religion teaches everybody comparison. And the child is bound to learn it. He is just a tabula rasa, a blank paper without any writing; so whatsoever the parents, the teachers, the priests write on him, he starts believing that is his destiny, it is his fate. Man comes into existence with all the doors open, all directions available; all the dimensions are for him to choose. But before he can choose, before he can be, before he can even feel his being, he is spoiled.

Jealousy is one of the greatest devices.
    Look at it very closely: what does it mean?
    Jealousy means to live in comparison.

Somebody is higher than you, somebody is lower than you. You are always somewhere on a middle rung of the ladder. Perhaps the ladder is a circle because nobody finds the end of the ladder. Everybody is stuck somewhere in the middle, everybody is in the middle. The ladder seems to be a round wheel.

Somebody is above you &#8211; that hurts. That keeps you fighting, struggling, moving by any means possible, because if you succeed nobody cares whether you have succeeded rightly or wrongly. Success proves you are right; failure proves that you are wrong. All that matters is success, so any means will do. The end proves the means right. So you need not bother about means &#8211; and nobody does bother. The whole question is how to climb on up the ladder. But you never come to the end of it. And whosoever is above you is creating jealousy in you, that he has succeeded and you have failed.

One would think that spending your whole life passing from one ladder to another ladder, always finding that somebody is still ahead of you &#8211; can&#8217;t you simply jump off the ladder? No, you cannot jump. The society is very cunning, very clever. It has polished, refined its methods over thousands of years. Why can&#8217;t you get out of the circle? &#8211; because somebody is below you and that gives you tremendous satisfaction.

Certainly, if you go on in this way &#8211; being jealous and competitive of everybody around you &#8211; how can you come to yourself? The world is too big, and there are so many people and you are in competition with everybody&#8230; and you are. Somebody has a beautiful face, somebody has beautiful hair, somebody has a beautiful, proportionate body, somebody has a great intellect, somebody is a painter, somebody is a poet&#8230;. How are you going to manage? All this, and you alone to compete? You will drive yourself nuts &#8211; and that is what all of humanity has done.

Drop competition, drop jealousy.
    It is absolutely pointless.

It is absolutely a cunning device created by the priests so that you can never be yourself &#8211; because that is the only thing all the old religions are afraid of. If you are yourself you have found contentment, fulfillment, ecstasy.

#53     Jun 6, 2011
  4. rew

rew

+1

#54     Jun 6, 2011
  5. Visaria

Visaria

Just say you are retired and you spend your day managing your retirement fund.

#55     Jun 6, 2011
  6. Eddiefl

Eddiefl

Quote from Specterx:

If you really care that much, say "I run a proprietary/futures/derivatives trading business" rather than "I daytrade from a darkened room at home in my underwear."

How about if we say " I run a prop/futures/derivatives trading business in a darkened room at home in my underwear.??

will that grab some cache???

:D :D :D :D

#56     Jun 6, 2011
  7. sle

sle

I knew a girl like that once. My wife did not approve...

#57     Jun 7, 2011
  8. I feel really sad when reading this thread because I know that 99% of people live and think like this, especially since I was trapped in this type of mentality myself when I was younger.

You are basically setting yourself up to play a game where others make the rules and you will never be good enough no matter how much you excel. There will always be someone with a faster car, bigger muscles, more money, more intellect, better education, etc. The solution is obviously not to play this game in the first place.

I never tell girls what I do for a living until it`s "too late". This has worked very well for me through a variety of life situations and vocations. It`s not because I`m hiding anything, it`s because when I meet new girls I want to have fun and create sexual tension, chemistry and attraction. Telling a girl about our daily grind does not create attraction, it creates a yawn. Even when I transition to trading as a profession, I will still continue doing this. It`s fun!

Just don`t put the cart before the horse. Focus on creating attraction and getting intimate. Pursuing a relationship comes next if that is something you want. Don`t settle for the first girl who says yes. The key to creating attraction is to be a highly confident man who takes what he wants and does not give a fuck about social status or similar meaningless labels.

Do you honestly think that a real man cares how he compares to some other guy? A lawyer or a doctor? The difference between their paychecks? Honestly? A real man has only one set of standards and those are his own, even if it means going against the crowd.

As for social circles, I come from a different perspective. I qualify people before allowing them permanent space in my life. If I meet some shallow dick or gold digger whore who is caught up in the social matrix, guess what, I`m not interested in hanging around with them. There are too many cool and like minded people in this world that I`d rather spend time with.

As for trading as a profession, I believe it may a different story here in Norway than in the US, since most people here don`t even know what a trader is and the truth is that there are probably not many around either. So, by default, one is already "different" when meeting new people. But like others said, it is all about how you present yourself. "I trade stocks for a living" is a generic boring answer. An improvement could be, "I run my own business where I exploit inefficiencies and provide liquidity in the US index futures" :)

That said, if you are looking to "fit in", you should probably not be pursuing trading in the first place. If you feel that you have another call in life and that trading would not fullfill you, you should quit now. Money is not everything and not everyone makes it in this business either.

Personally, I chose trading because it was the profession that most aligned with my goals and plans for life at the time. And I know with 100% conviction that when I make it as a trader, I will be VERY proud of my achievment, because I know how hard I`ve worked to make it. If the grey mass thinks I`m a degenerate gambler, I could care less :)

Good luck on finding your way.

#58     Jun 9, 2011
  9. Listen to this guy. +1000 :)

#59     Jun 9, 2011
  10. achilles28

achilles28

Big mistake on the part of your friend. If a women said that to me, I'd dump her ass in a heartbeat.

#60     Jun 9, 2011