Trading and Dating/social status

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by Robertwiz, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Malpractice insurance? :D Traders loss insurance??

Otherwise, very true.

#31     Jun 5, 2011
  2. Why do you assume his wife will want to divorce him? :confused:

Using the word "when" instead of "if" suggests that you think everyone must follow in your life's experiences.

PS What the heck is a "dalmation" anyways?

#32     Jun 5, 2011

3. Female lawyers are like lions. They have 2 moods attacking and sleeping.

I know several and this is based on first hand experience.

#33     Jun 5, 2011
  4. Visaria

Visaria

5. cnbc

cnbc Guest

stock broker or financial advisor or financial analyst or investment advisor, portfolio manager are 'respectable' occupations.

all the good traders eventually trade or manage other people's money.

the homebased retail trader 'daytrading' at home with his own money is NEW occupation that didn't exist in the 80's and 90's

previously the only way a small retail participant under $5,000 in capitial could participate in the financial markets was personal portfolio as commmissions was prohibitive to daytrading and even swing trading. it used to cost $100/trade or $200 for round trip.

I laugh at traders that don't have the confidence to trade other people's money.

no bank, venture capital will lend a nobody or newbie even if you have a track record and invest in your trading operation. why, because they don't trust you with their money. an unregistered financial advisor in the street corner has no reference or credentials and can just take the funds and run..--- which is the reason financial advisors are 'registered'. and bonded with their broker/dealer. much like real estate firms.

a financial advisoor, CFA etc havte to ake numerous courses and sponsored by a firm to get the CFA designation like in accounting. that CFA, CTA is your 'credential' in the industry.

although you make most of your incomet by daytrading and trading.

as for income, incomes vary among financial advisors and real estate agents. average real estate agents and some financial advisors barely making a living while others make six figures. just like law etc or any small business. A financial advisor license or law license is just a license. like any trade, some plumbers make $50,000/year while owners of a plumbling company make 7 figures.

in business especailly in service business, it's who you know not what you know.

as for girlfriends, they don't care only you are driving a brand new $100,000 car and net worth is 5 million these girls don't care if you are an 'unemployed' millionaire.

Girls imo only care about money while guys only care about looks,,imo.

in this age of women liberation, women make more money than guys. and many of the careers are no longer men only. a woman ceo of fortun 500 in 1960 was unheard of.

women in the middle east and many countries are banned from the business world or working world. sexual descrimination is raampant in many countries and not so long ago in the US for better or worse.

#35     Jun 5, 2011
  6. Ok....still doesn't mean you should assume his wife will divorce him strictly based on the fact that she's a lawyer.

#36     Jun 5, 2011
  7. #37     Jun 5, 2011
  8. It's funny how the same threads get recycled on ET every year or few years. The more the game changes, the more it stays the same.

Another topic that has been discussed here over and over and over.

:D

If you give a sh1t what others think of you, then you probably shouldn't try being a trader b/c it's not an easy career path.

#38     Jun 5, 2011
  9. So, I see that a self employed trader whether making 1 million dollars a year or 40,000 a year will be seen as either:

A. a loser

B. degenerate gambler

Why is it considered so much better in our society to be a sychophant in corporate America than to actually use genuine business sense to make money.

A decent trader is probaly making decisions about risk-reward, markets, the fundamentals of a company, when a strategy has run it's course etc.

Why is some staff corporate person or even line corporate person who spearheaded a program to start subprime lending more worthy of respect then someone who was clever enough to either:

A. realize that there was a bubble and with their own money have the courage to go short.

B. At least was smart enough to put in place a trend following system to catch such moves and the discipline to stay with it.

Even an a risk adjusted basis 200,000 emini per year is better than 70,000 mid manager per year.

The second could get laid off and never rehired.

Why in the dating scene should the way in which you get your money matter? Money is money as long as it is clean and legal.

Additionally, trading is more honest than being a corporate sychophant.

In contrast to those who get treated negatively by dates and even friends for your choice of occupation, has anyone gained acceptance for being a career trader?

Thanks

#39     Jun 5, 2011
  10. Who cares what people think? I own a couple of business's ,and trade among other things and when people ask me what I do I tell them a whole lot of nothing. It's none of their business and the mystery of what I do is driving everyone I know crazy. They cant figure out how I live. I could care less what they do for a living, if they are a real freind it doesnt matter.

#40     Jun 5, 2011