Trading and Dating/social status

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by Robertwiz, Jun 4, 2011.

1. this is better for your life and trading to.. you should always seperate your work from your home... if you dont change pace and enviroment you keep the stress withyou all day your never "off"

#11     Jun 5, 2011
  2. my wife doesn't think i have a "real" job even though i make more in a month than she does all year- it kind of makes me laugh a bit.

but my experiences with "professionals" is that, in general, most are in awe of the fact that i've managed to make money in the markets day-in-day-out, month-in-month-out for the past 6 years- most "professionals" are involved in the market and cannot fathom that sort of performance.

PS when i played this video for my wife, she asked me why the guy was wearing a shirt and not just in ratty old boxers shirtless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwKYjZ_8EcE&feature=player_embedded

#12     Jun 5, 2011
  3. Cheese

Cheese

People are fickle; we all are.

But all people in all societies are marked out by rank, class, money, power, status and good looks. Now consider this: are you blue collar, low income, fat and ugly? Nothing is going for you, right? Except 2 things: you own savvy and your own personality. If as well you are half stupid and pretty much a dull drone, then your prospects, while decidedly not good, are never hopeless.

Where to start? Well humour can help. "What do you do for a living?" "Oh not much but I am learning how to do even less. What about you?"

Have you any true friends, always there for you, rain or shine? How many? You get my drift. The onus is on you to make anything happen in this life; that is the underlying fact.

Ultimately we are all alone. But none of us needs to be lonely or to lack company. None of us needs to worry about dating. This is because the abiding big characteristic of people is that they like to swarm and love to form subsets - hobbies, arts, local bars, sport, political activism, professional associations, etc, etc. The world is your oyster.
    :)

#13     Jun 5, 2011
  4. I was out at a medium scale bar in the city and started chatting with some random girl.

She asked me what I did for a living, I said "I trade securities for myself" Her response was "Oh, you're unemployed" Hahahaha. True story.

She had no idea if I made 0 or 500K a year, she didn't even bother to dig further.

Hysterical. Most likely nobody knows any successful independent traders and so that is why its tough to get through to someone. Thats the problem.

But, in the end if you're making a good living none of this sh*t matters. Fuck em, just say you don't do anything for a living, you just enjoy life, who cares. Basically what cheese said is right I think. Eventually people get the idea, "Whats chkitout doing, havn't seen him.?" "Oh, he went on a lake tahoe ski trip" "Oh, huh.....silence..

#14     Jun 5, 2011
  5. A friend married a great women who was all business. She said "Trader, huh?" After they dated for awhile she said show me your statements. Then she said marry me but if you start choking you're getting a real job. True.

#15     Jun 5, 2011
  6. You know what irks me about that, would somebody say that If I told them I own a restaurant? Would the say, if you're restaurant goes under (a very real possibility), you better get a"REAL" job? No, because they acknowledge that running a restaurant IS a real job.

#16     Jun 5, 2011
  7. I get a warm feeling all over whenever I hear a real love story. :p

#17     Jun 5, 2011
  8. Women want security. Traders don't provide security and live on the edge if their full time job ( outside of employed traders). Speaking of self employed traders only. Self employment is risky enough add in the extreme added risk of the market and it's not a good picture for ladies.

Show me I am wrong traders. Who is full time, no other income, self employed trader with hot, smart wife? I betcha you don't exist.

#18     Jun 5, 2011
  9. No comparison whatsoever. Market risk in an environment rigged for you to lose and ever changing so even if you beat it, it will change on top of typical self emoyment risk is a monster to overcome. Chicks know this.

Restaurant while risky hasno where near the risk of full timetrading. Plus you can sell the restaurant. Ever try to sell your trading biz?

#19     Jun 5, 2011
  10. I get what you're saying. I guess the bottom line is trading income is based on probabilities and so losing money is part of your "job" All other business you either make money or at worst make no money (no customers, no sales) but you don't lose money. Thats the inherent bad stigma.

#20     Jun 5, 2011