Trading Alerts and Education in ET Chatroom

Discussion in 'Events' started by Brandonf, Jul 10, 2003.

1. nitro

nitro

Woodman,

I have been in this industry in one form or another for over twenty years now. I worked for a hedge fund that was on it's way to doing very well [they are doing great now.] Since we were small, I was privy to most of the "gossip" that went around from people that came to see us looking to invest, to WELL KNOWN gurus that tried to milk us for anything of value we had. I have seen with my own two eyes and heard with my own two ears CON MEN taking money from the naive and representing themselves as "teachers." Part of my job at the hedge fund was we used to buy all the "Systems" that these guys sold to the dreamy eyed public. We threw extremely sophisitcated testing sofware to program the system to see how it did on our substantial datbase of tick data over dozens of markets. Without exception, they all lost money.

On the other side of the coin, I learned what real traders look like by working at the MERC and how risky trading can be to those that do not know how to trade and manage risk. Without exception, these guys did not give away what they knew to anybody. It had to be earned by working for them, for next to nothing, for YEARS. This is the core of my skepticism, and why I have a chip on my shoulder with most of these people that claim to be able to teach newbies to trade:

As in Religion, extraordinary claims demand extraodinary proof.

If someone does not give you an audited statement of their trading, the rest is BOGUS.

nitro

#31     Jul 20, 2003
  2. To be fair, I'd rather read your stuff than Brandon's. Just a personal preference, I guess.

Any chance of a comeback?

Learning Technical Analysis

Db's Burrow
    This was where all the lights came on − but thanks to the dot-com implosion, all its lights are off. The amount of investing and trading information here was wonderful, and ranged from super-basic to very advanced. Will update the link when (if?) the site is re-established.

Bruce:cool:

#32     Jul 20, 2003
  3. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Nitro wouldn't approve :p

#33     Jul 20, 2003
  4. I'd still visit, as would probably hundreds of others. That reference is one of several web links to your old site. Another one:

Db's Burrow
    home.talkcity.com
    Everything you need to get started on a plate.

You might think of working out some kind of deal with Baron.

FWIW

Bruce:cool:

#34     Jul 20, 2003
  5. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Where are you getting all this stuff? I've never seen these references :p

#35     Jul 20, 2003
  6. Woodman...

Trading... Vendors... Brokers... whatever... This is all business.

Honestly, I would screw a billionaire to make $1 million dollars if it was legal. I would even screw a small town barber for a little buck.... Well... you might think I'm a complete loozer... but...

As long as I trade, there's people on the other side and they're getting screwed. I'm sure all traders work hard not to get screwed and that the nature of trading. We screw each other and that's how the business work as a trader.

Same can be said with the vendor or a broker. They're doing it as a business and to make money. It does not matter whether the product they sell are legit or not. As long as it makes money, it's legit.

Some brokers have an illusion of helping others financially presenting the newbies with an opportunity to make money. Honestly, it's BS... the best advice would be to tell them not to trade. Professional traders lose money. The chance of a newbie making money is close to none.

I've had a very brief attempt of being a broker and a vendor. (1 day in a option churn broker and an interview with a well known guru's mentoring service) I knew they were a CON from Day 1. I hated them for a while but I kinda accept them now because there's no difference in a social function term with what I do now.

We screw others to benefit our own purse. This is a business... again... and knowing that makes me very skeptical.

#36     Jul 20, 2003
  7. DB,

I just did the search for Db's Burrow. I remember from my visits I would always be entertained by something you said about trading in different way. I especially liked all your quotes. On the Keeping It Simple II thread here on ET I wouldn't have memorized the stuff if I hadn't read your stuff on your website and learned something from it. As it is, I now have a picture in my mind of how you trade the opening range. It is instantly recallable. This is what a teacher should strive for in teaching. I guess I just wanted you to know that your efforts haven't gone unnoticed. There are probably many places around the web that still have a link for your site. I'm just saying that was a wealth of information and if Keeping It Simple II was any indication of what people are missing in reading you then it is our loss.

Bruce

#37     Jul 20, 2003
  8. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

How strange. Sort of like being followed around by your permanent record card :p

#38     Jul 20, 2003
  9. db... are you going to quit ET... you're being stalked!!!

:eek:

#39     Jul 20, 2003
  10. Well, a lot of TMF'ers were interested in what you said. Those people might have left TMF but they are still around. As described in my first reference there are fewer investment/trading resources on the net these days. You had a lot of pages in the past. Certainly this site goes begging for content from time to time. I'm just saying you have a commodity. People always need education and when they are down, inspiration. You have, on this site, an audience and people who know you are a credible teacher. Without getting sidetracked by the guruism that occured at TMF you could still provide a valuable service to this website and maybe be remunerated for it. I'm not a business person so don't know how that would work. But I can vouch for the quality of the content in Db's Burrow. Several of the more studious traders at TMF would also vouch for the quality. Sundrop comes to mind. He first suggested I look at your website and he posted links to it in several discussion threads over the years.

Bruce

#40     Jul 20, 2003