Trading Advice

Discussion in 'Trading' started by enkidu007, Apr 14, 2004.

1. dude, if someone posted on a board related to becoming a doctor about how he didn't want to really learn anything except maybe a couple little techniques on how to make 500 dollars a day with a strategy to diagnose the flu.. do you really think he would be taken seriously?

its not personal, it is just a silly thing to say.. he didn't know better, but i think he probably has a pretty good understanding now.. if someone cant deal with a little rejection in an anonymous message board then he really wont appreciate what the market does to him..

-qwik

#21     Apr 14, 2004
  2. BSAM

BSAM

Trying to follow Grob is like trying to drive in the tracks of a drunk going down the highway. If you can put up with Grob you're either a better man than me, a smarter man than me, a more patient man than me, or all of the above. I tend to think one would "go blind or stark raving mad" before he picks up much substance from Grob.

#22     Apr 14, 2004
  3. Don't get discouraged asking for help is a good thing :)

The only problem is you are going to get all kinds of responses and it will be allot harder to figure out which ones to TRUST, then it will be to just learn to trade on your own.

Start with the basic's buy and read as many good books as you can.

Here are some suggestions that I got allot from.

Reminiscences of a Stock Operator
    by Edwin LeFevre

How to Make Money in Stocks
    by William J. O'Neil

Market Wizards
    by Jack D. Schwager

The New Market Wizards
    by Jack D. Schwager

These should be a good starting place.

Whatever you do DO NOT buy anything from any VENDOR that is selling something.

If someone offers to mentor you in exchange for profits well that's a different story BUT still be VERY cautious and ask for statements.

Good Luck

#23     Apr 14, 2004
  4. BSAM

BSAM

qwik.....

The guy came on here trying to stick his foot into the water and he got blasted. qwik, I done know you KNOW better than all this kind of shit, so let's not, me and you, even get into this discussion. I'm not putting you down at all. I have respect for your contributions here on ET. Everybody blows off a little and makes a few very minor mistakes ('cept me:D ). All I'm trying to point out is that I see this often here. Kinda brings down the level of help that many here, certainly you among them, are capable of delivering. No biggie, really. Just my observations.

#24     Apr 14, 2004
  5. xbrxx

xbrxx

You must be trading the nasdaq if you are doing 50 share lots. And you must be holding over night if you lost 5k doing that. You would have needed to lose 100 points to lose that. How is that possible? You must not be cutting your losses and holding more than 50 shares.

You seem very new to the markets, take a step back and read up on as many books as you can get! And before you trade with real money, papertrade! Once you get the hang of it, start small... 100 shares.. 200 shares... then on up.

You are at an advantage with so much capital. Dont blow it all!!!! Some newbies come in trading with 5k, 1/100 of what you have and that is their only shot at it. You have 100 shots. Make sure you know wtf you are doing. If you blow your first 100k, i hope you take a good look in the mirror to see if your cut out for this.

xbrxx

#25     Apr 14, 2004
  6. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

I take the making of these charcoal layouts very seriously. Too many novices wait until they are on the canvas before trying to solve many of their problems.

-- Norman Rockwell

#26     Apr 14, 2004
  7. BSAM

BSAM

B-I-N-G-O!!!

Wish I'd met you about five years ago, db!!

#27     Apr 14, 2004
  8. Aaron

Aaron

Enkidu, are you trading to make money or to have fun? If to make money, perhaps you would be better off investing with a professional money manager and letting him do the trading. There are many good managers listed at www.iasg.com.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss.

#28     Apr 14, 2004
  9. Turok

Turok

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JB

#29     Apr 14, 2004
  10. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Hell, I wish I'd met me five years ago, or at least the me I am now.

I didn't start trading until '89, so this is my first bear market. What a learning experience!

#30     Apr 14, 2004