Trading Advice Required...

Discussion in 'Trading' started by TheSorcerer, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Glad you didn't get your feelings hurt. It wasn't the intent.

Back to Graham. He has no place on a trading site. Yes, good old Warren worked for the Graham-Newman corp in the 1950's. Ben I believe had an affair with his own son's wife. He acquired control of Geico in 1976 for a song. Died the same year. Yes, Graham-Dodd is considered a bible. I don't apply it nor thee bible to trading. Try to find "A" stock priced at two thirds of net working capital.

Mass market books are...................mass market books. William O'Neil once remarked he "never" made much money shorting. YET.............he writes a book on the topic. CANSLIM. Sounds like a diet drink.

Schwager's wizard series...................eh...............entertaining. So would books on Mickey Mantle, Jackie Robinson and Lew Alcindor.

I think one of Daryl Guppy's books, before he became "an author", entitled "Market Trading Techniques", has some value for a beginner. I include Guppy moving averages on all stocks I follow. A lesser known book, How To Make The Stock Market Make Money For You", circa 1966, by Ted Warren, has made me a shit load of money, but is remotely applicible to trading. Long term, low level, multi-year bases.

Linda Bradford Rashke's website, with free articles, some of which describe and example the 3-10 First Cross, would be appropriate for a beginner.

Yes, Bogle is the father of indexing. Important for those that strive for mediocrity. But.............given 2/3 of insitutiuons under-perform the S&P each year, hmmmm, maybe we're onto something.

#31     Aug 31, 2007
  2. ess1096

ess1096

Has anyone suggested "An American Hedge Fund" by Timothy Sykes?

Seriously, my favorite 5 books might be worthless to another trader and so on. You need a lot of time watching the markets and doing broad research (more than 5 books) until you see something you are drawn to.......stocks, etfs, futures, options, whatever. Once you decide what you might feel comfortable trading then you should narrow your research to just THAT and become the best you can at that.

#32     Aug 31, 2007