Trading A Dead Cat Bounce? ...same as catching a falling knife?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by easymon1, Mar 9, 2020.

1. easymon1

easymon1

#11     Mar 10, 2020
  2. easymon1

easymon1

dcb 9994 Le d.png dcb 9993 nq d.png

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    #12     Mar 11, 2020
  3. easymon1

easymon1

upload_2020-3-11_23-54-11.png

#13     Mar 11, 2020
  4. maxinger

maxinger

Investors talk about cats and knives.
    Traders don't talk about cats and knives.

For traders, we'd call it as

Trading a reversal ( to go up)

Same as Trading a reversal ( to go down)

but different from Counter Trend Trading

which is same as kamikaze trading.

#14     Mar 12, 2020
    easymon1 likes this.
  5. easymon1

easymon1

Jagerson is presenting the dcb as a gap trade possibility. if at the prior gap, indications are that risk reward allows a responsible entry, then a gap trader could sharpen up this tool and add it to the toolbox. Catching a falling knife, well, ...
    Jagerson's dcb/ gap tool, tho, if indeed the cat is dead, looks decent if it fits a traders temperment and proves up under testing, stats, etc...
    a with trend, continuation trade, a way to trade the pullback
    nq 2020 0312 1214.png

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    #15     Mar 12, 2020
  6. %%
    Partly the same.
    BUT a dead cat bounce is worthless/dead for longs[unless you are really a bottom feeder buzzard LOL]
    Knives /aka falling safe, are worth something, some worth a lot/valuable. So fundamentals matter, also....................................................................................

#16     Mar 13, 2020
  7. .sigma

.sigma

I've traded dead cats for years. Its one of my favorite strategies that keeps on giving.

I'll look at several different time-frames of the underlying, if the longer-term
    confirms with the shorter all the merrier. Dead-cats come in all shapes and sizes.
    Usually capitulation from a huge earnings gap you'll see price gap down -20% and then
    rally back up filling that same gap hours later. This happens all the time.

Dead cats can also occur on longer time frame such as daily, weekly, even monthly
    where the stock can sold off extensively and the selling is exhausted. Once these shares
    transfer the risk completely to the upside you'll see a huge influx of volume with
    usually a very long wick on a candle, followed by huge buying volume and price spikes.
    This anomaly in the market has fasincated me for years and still does to this day.

#17     Mar 21, 2020
  8. NY_HOOD

NY_HOOD

I am a big believer in technical analysis. That said, in times of panic it doesnt seem to work very well. Thats why everyone loses in a serious bear market.

#18     Mar 22, 2020
    themickey likes this.
  9. easymon1

easymon1

10. Handle123

Handle123

Unless you actually have a method called dead cat bounce, well tested, in my way of thinking, it be fool hardy. Risk is beyond too much.

#20     Mar 23, 2020
    themickey likes this.