Tradestion for an IRA account. Adviseable?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by seasideheights, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Does anyone have any pros or cons with putting an IRA account in Tradestation?

2. Stimulus

Stimulus

I am interested in hearing replies to this question because I do not have an IRA with TS, only a modest account for swing futures and equities plays.

I will make some observations about TS based on my 5 years with them:

1) Great value for analytics and charting IF you keep a small brokerage account with them and do the required minimum volume, which I do at least 3X over, to qualify for the software fee waiver.

2) Great for swinging positions on futures, but sucks for scalping which is why I have a scalp account elsewhere. I will elaborate on this if requested.

3) Not bad at all for basic automation if your strategy (equities or futures) is not sensitive to fast execution (or stability).

I'm guessing TS would be ok for IRA, but I can't speak on it because I don't use them for this purpose. There are likely some scenarios of which I have not considered, so I am interested in replies from others.

TIA

3. Aok

Aok

If you trade size in your IRA and/or frequently you will do better in commish elsewhere.

If you are inactive in your IRA the interest paid with TS will be miniscule.

If you dont make 10 futures rt/month or whatever the number of forex/equities trade requirements you will pay for the platform. Again, another cost that is not necessary.

Something like SierraChart/Amibroker/Quotetracker/IB/MB would be far more effective for IRA situation.