Tradestation

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Brandonf, Aug 21, 2002.

1. :D :D :D

Yes I do mean 256Mb. And I am running XP. I'm a fairly simple trader compared to the things you do as I have observed in the trading room.

Thanks for your insight. It is always helpful.

:)

#11     Aug 21, 2002
  2. mktman

mktman

Take my advice upgrade to 512MB.
    You wont be sorry.

Doing that right now.

Remember with TS7 due out in the fall it will surely take up much more memory.

#12     Aug 21, 2002
  3. Kymar

Kymar

You've been trading a lot longer than I have, I think... I wish I was good enough or confident enough to get simpler...

Some day...

Was just fooling around with the order bar... there is a limited toggle function for symbol entry: If you enter one symbol, then enter another in its place, you can toggle between them by hitting CTRL-Z.

I'm always hoping that one day I'll hit upon a really fast way to enter symbols in the Order Bar. My guess is that if I ever do, it'll be something that even most of the TS people know nothing about, and it won't be until the day the big upgrade comes out and makes the discovery pointless anyway...

#13     Aug 21, 2002
  4. Ctrl Z is a good one to know. I'll try that. Two daytrade positions are about all I can manage now anyway.

I'm headed to my TS6 program now to try and figure out some code.

My simple theory is this, and you really don't even need a chart, just a quote sheet: if I draw a horizontal line at the current price, and determine that using the 1 minute close, I will be long above the line and short below it. Period. The stoploss is the reversal.

Example: using the standard pivot calculation of H+L+C/3, using today's data for tomorrow's pivot. When price crosses the pivot on the one minute bar and closes I am in. If it crosses back and closes I reverse.

All the finish work, ie., profit stops, etc etc I will fill in. I just need the framework. I posted this on the TSWorld site and the reply tuned my in to the "crosses" reserved word. I called TS and the guy tuned me in to the EasyLanguage document. So I'm ready to bumble awhile.

If you would be so kind... and know the code to get me started right off the top of your head then please show me. But please, only if it requires very little thought and a post. I'm sure it will do me good to figure this out anyway.

Thanks Kymar. :)

#14     Aug 22, 2002
  5. Kymar

Kymar

VARS: HH(0), LL(9999), PDHIGH(0), PDLOW(0), PDCLOSE(0), PIV(0);

{Initialize values at beginning of day}
    If Date <> Date[1] then begin
    HH = H;
    LL = L;
    End;

{Increment values}
    If H > HH then HH = H;
    If L < LL then LL = L;

If TIME = SESS1ENDTIME then begin
    PDHIGH = HH;
    PDLOW = LL;
    PDCLOSE = CLOSE;
    END;

{Set Pivot value, excluding first day on chart}
    If PDCLOSE > 0 then PIV = (PDHIGH + PDLOW + PDCLOSE)/3;

{Buy and sell stops, exclude purchase on first bar at previous day's pivot}

If Time <> SESS1ENDTIME and PDCLOSE > 0 then begin
    BUY ("piv.le") NEXT BAR AT PIV STOP;
    SELL SHORT ("piv.se") NEXT BAR AT PIV STOP;
    End;

That'll give you buy and sell stops every bar at the Pivot, which might actually be practical for trading purposes in some circumstances (you could turn it off and on if the signals were bothering you, for instance - or just let them collect, depending on other settings) - but will make for a tottaly whippy display in most cases (i.e., lots of buys and sells on the same bars).

What kind of conditions you'd want to attach would enable you to refine the signal - such as

If C > PIV then BUY NEXT BAR AT MARKET;

or

Input: MinMove(.005);
    Var: MinMove(0), BBUY(0);

BBUY = H + (MinMove * H);
    If C > PIV + (MinMove * PIV) then BUYCOND = TRUE else BUYCOND = FALSE;

IF BUYCOND = TRUE then BUY NEXT BAR AT BBUY STOP;

or

If C crosses over PIV then buy next bar at BBUY STOP

etc.

If you want to look at your PIV then you can use an indicator:

VARS: HH(0), LL(9999), PDHIGH(0), PDLOW(0), PDCLOSE(0), PIV(0);

{Initialize values at beginning of day}
    If Date <> Date[1] then begin
    HH = H;
    LL = L;
    End;

{Increment values}
    If H > HH then HH = H;
    If L < LL then LL = L;

If TIME = SESS1ENDTIME then begin
    PDHIGH = HH;
    PDLOW = LL;
    PDCLOSE = CLOSE;
    END;

{Set Pivot value, excluding first day on chart}
    If PDCLOSE > 0 then begin
    PIV = (PDHIGH + PDLOW + PDCLOSE)/3;
    Plot1( PIV, "Pivot" ) ;
    End;

If H crosses over PIV then ALERT ("Woah, Nelly, it's a buy!");
    If L crosses under PIV then ALERT ("Sell this POS");

{SET SCALING "Same as Symbol"; Data in "Subgraph One"}

These are just off the top of my head - I'm sure there are more elegant ways to do them.

You might also want to double check 'em for mistakes and incompetence.

#15     Aug 22, 2002
  6. ...just off the top of your head, huh? Thank you so much Kymar. I really appreciate it. It looks great and makes sense thru it.

Thanks again. :) :)

The added descriptive labels accompanying the buy and sell orders are the real power here. Don't just sell, sell this POS.

:D

#16     Aug 22, 2002
  7. Kymar

Kymar

You're welcome.... Not very complicated... Took my mind off some crappy daytrading to work that up over EST lunch... then got back into the session all refreshed, and proceeded to give back my meager morning's gains...

Sheesh...

#17     Aug 22, 2002
  8. Kymar

Kymar

Feel obligated to point this out, since I know you (and maybe others) are just starting out with EL...

In earlier post, under examples of alternative signals, strike "MinMov(0)" from the "Var" declaration:

NOT:
    Var: MinMove(0), BBUY(0);

JUST:

Var: BBUY(0);

You don't declare Inputtables as Variables - but, while we're on this subject, you can try something like this to make actual inputting (and potentially backtesting) more convenient:

Input: MinMove(1);
    Vars: Act_MM(0), BBUY(0);

Act_MM = MinMove/1000;
    BBUY = H * (1 + Act_MM);

#18     Aug 22, 2002
  9. nitro

nitro

I am gonna need to add another Xeon soon. I beat the living shit out of TS6 everyday, with 40 open workspaces and over 400 symbols that I am monitoring realtime, all in charts, with multiple indicators and my own dll's. TS6 holds up pretty well inspite of it all.

Though, I may need a quad Xeon board and 4GB of memory soon...

nitro

#19     Aug 22, 2002
  10. Hey Brandon,

I just started using TS 6 and am in the process of learning Easy Language (what fun that is!). I must say what I like best about TS is that the monthly charts go back to 1968. This is the first package I found that allows testing of trends back that many years.

#20     Aug 22, 2002