Tradestation

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by connor2546, Jan 10, 2002.

1. DaveN

DaveN

vannielj,

I'm not sure that I understand what you are asking about specifically. If you could post some sample code, or some dummy code that represents your problem, that would be very helpful.

Some possibly useful features of EasyLanguage:

(These are in TS5--Tradestation2000--syntax; I know it's slightly different in TS6, but the idea will be the same. I think ExitLong = Sell to Close, ).

You can include the lines
    ExitLong StopPrice Stop;
    ExitShort ShortStopPrice Stop;

and if you are not in a trade, the program will just skip the line.

Since the system keeps track of MarketPosition, it will know on the close of a bar, if you are in a position. You can take advantage of that.

Also remember that Tradestation processes your code from the first bar loaded and moving to the right. On historical data, the calculations are done at the close of the bar.

Also, when you apply a strategy, there's a checkbox that should be selected to "Send Signals to Tracking Center" or something to that effect. That will cause the dialogue box to be opened whenever you get a trade signal or new stop value.

I can go on, but I'll wait for more detail on your question.

#51     Mar 20, 2002
  2. Yeah! I've had similar problems with TS6, which I, too, just got recently. I have several complaints, but the truth is that it's a far, far cry from Datek!

To test my strategies I've just been using the canned exit strategies that they offer. On your chart go to "insert strategy" and add whatever "LX" suits your fancy. You might try a "Stop Loss$LX" and a "Parabolic TrailingLX". You can adjust the values to better suit your needs.

Rencently TS seems to have added a tutorial on Strategy testing. It was pretty basic, but I found it useful none-the-less.

I tried writing to Easy Language and it took them 19 days to reply. Not exactly speedy!

You also might try the following link. There's nothing on it now - but hopefully the future will offer something better:

http://www.tssupport.com/

It seems like we are in a similar boat so if you find something out - let me know!

#52     Mar 21, 2002
  3. PXG

PXG

vannielj,

you can also try the built in functions.

Examples:

SetStopPosition; (or SetStopContract;)
    SetStopLoss(Amount);

SetPercentTrailing(FloorAmnt, Amount);

SetDollarTrailing(Amount);

For definitions, you can go to EL Dictionary, look them up, and click on Definition.

#53     Mar 21, 2002
  4. #54     Mar 21, 2002