Tradestation: zero commission

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by Maverick2608, Oct 3, 2019.

1. KeLo

KeLo

What do you know about TS Humble Investor? Inquiring minds want to know. (So do TS account holders.)

#21     Oct 3, 2019
  2. They are a heavily leveraged institution (18.50 to 1). By contrast IB is levered at only 8.5 to 1. One little thing goes wrong and TS is done. These so called "free trades" are just going to make things worse for them.

And by the way, good look with SIPC, it's gonna take 1-2 years to get your money back if things goes wrong.

#22     Oct 3, 2019
    KeLo likes this.
  3. @Humble Investor - what are you basing this on? Not doubting your info, just can't find anything (and am very interested, since I have an account with them as do friends of mine.)

#23     Oct 3, 2019
    Humble Investor and comagnum like this.
  4. Well ok...but what is the internet?

#24     Oct 3, 2019
  5. Here you go:

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1002006/000100200619000004/TSSBalanceSheet3_31_19.pdf

It's unbelievable to me that only 10 years after the financial crisis, people have forgotten what counterparty risk is and that brokers can go bankrupt!

The only ones that I trust with my money are: IB, SCHW, AMTD, Fidelity and a few other firms.

Guys, please read your broker's financials!

#25     Oct 4, 2019
    KeLo, GregorySG9 and BlueWaterSailor like this.
  6. Thanks, @Humble Investor... I'm fairly new to all this, but trying to learn as fast as I can. Really appreciate this extra bit of knowledge; I was aware of counterparty risk as a general principle, but I've never applied it in this context.

I'm seriously weak on the fundamentals, so would appreciate a cross-check here - we're just talking about their total liabilities over their shareholder equity, right? (I don't see a way to figure the actual tier 1 leverage ratio - the total capital is easy enough, but I got lost looking for the "average total consolidated assets".)

If it's the former, then - yeah:

Assets: 2533792k
    Liabilities: 2396709k
    Shareholder equity: 137083k
    Liabilities/equity: 2533792/137083 = ~18.5

Fidelity, for comparison, is

Assets: 64489M
    Liabilities: 59659M
    Shareholder equity: 4830M
    Liabilities/equity: 59659/4830 = ~12.3

Is that what you're talking about?

#26     Oct 4, 2019
  7. Has anyone got examples of a major online retail brokerages that went bankrupt AND where clients lost money over the last 20 years?

I’m thinking online brokerages above a certain size like Charles Schwab, Fidelity, Interactive Brokers, Lightspeed, E-Trade, Ameritrade or Tradestation.

MF Global went bankrupt, but I do not believe clients lost money.

Even the notorious Lehman bankruptcy did not cost Lehman brokerage clients their money, although they had to wait five years.
    https://www.ft.com/content/f06762de...kerage customers of MF,93 cents on the dollar

That does not mean it cannot happen in the future. Of course, it can. And I agree that it is wise and important to inform yourself about the financial position of the broker you choose.

I am interested in opening an account at Tradestation, because Tradestation apparently is the only broker offering commission-free trading for EU clients (UK clients may have the opportunity with Schwab), so at least I can gain access to gather data on price execution with zero-commission trading.

#27     Oct 4, 2019
  8. Let's see... what would be the opposite of "damning with faint praise", now...

It may be that, for someone whose resources are well diversified - someone who, in short, does not have to give a damn about a single account at a single broker - this would be annoying but not significant. For the majority of brokers' customers, this would be anything from life-changing (and not in a good way) to lifestyle-destroying. Most would see no practical difference between losing it all and losing access to it for an unpredictable (in the event, years-long) amount of time, with no guarantees for eventual recovery.

All of us are, of course, brilliant with our finances and would not be affected in the least. [cough, cough]

#28     Oct 5, 2019
  9. Math_Wiz

Math_Wiz

Does anyone have a chart of Lehman Brothers stock during the months leading up to its bankruptcy? Would love to see it. And how low did the stock price go before being halted or before changing its symbol to reflect "in bankruptcy"?

#29     Oct 5, 2019
  10. Google - via 'lehman brothers stock chart' - is your friend.

[​IMG]

#30     Oct 5, 2019
    Math_Wiz likes this.