Tradestation Woes - Must pick a new Platform

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by Truckload, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Im a retail broker, and I've never heard more complaints about a platform before strategy runner came on the scene. Thanks for the biz SR. ohh and TS is the equivalent to SR's daddy.

#41     Jul 4, 2008
  2. What's the consensus on Esignal? I need a platform for trading the ES, and really don't want to deal with a long learning curve (1 year:eek: ) like another member said about ninjatrader.

How about this? http://www.esignal.com/advancedget/default.asp

#42     Jul 4, 2008
  3. like I stated above, I am a broker and run a desk at PFG. I really like their Best Direct Pro Trader platform. Has all the bells and whistles but has very user friendly learning curve. When u get a demo, u obtain access to video tutorials as well as past and future webinars. I will waive the monthly fee for members of this forum, its the least I can do to pull my weight. Its nice to be in charge of a desk.... email me directly for a free demo

cmorris@pfgbest.com

#43     Jul 4, 2008
  4. Perhaps this "horse" has been beaten to death but I will add my two cents here for what it is worth. I trade futures for a living using Ninja Trader/Zenfire. I have automated and backtested many strategies and run some of them automatically against my live account. Even though the NT data feed and execution has been incredibly reliable for the last year that I have used it, I would never leave it unattended to execute my automatic strategies. Too many bad things can happen! This is my business and I need to manage it properly.

I am hoping that some day I will have enough success that I can hire someone to monitor my system and execute my automated trades while I am on the golf course or on the ski slopes. Until then, I will watch every trade and make sure they execute as planned. Just the other day, on 7/3 my Ninja/Zen system had a connectivity problem with the exchange and one of my orders didn't fill when the price was hit. I saw it go above my price on the DOM but nothing happened. That was a first for Ninja for me but it can happen on any system. Fortunately I was able to put in another order and exit the trade. (Ninja and my broker acknowleged the problem which only lasted for a few minutes.) My trading system has backup power, backup internet connectivity and I have a backup broker so I can place orders with them if needed. Systems fail and I want to be prepared when they do fail.

I was able to write Ninja strategies within a couple of days and you have the option of using their scripting language, writing your own code, or a combination of the two, so it is pretty easy and very flexible. Ninja hasn't been around as long as TradeStation but Ninja Trader certainly has a robust, scalable, reliable and fast system that gets better with each release. In the trade room that I subscribe to, Ninja is by far the most praised trading platform while I hear a lot of grumbling about TS issues, especially during high volume periods. This tells me that TS has some scalability issues to sort out, which I am sure they are working on. Good luck to all of you and happy trading.

#44     Jul 4, 2008

5. the funniest thing I have read on ET in 7 years.

Thanks for the laugh.Sorry for your loss.

#45     Jul 4, 2008