Tradestation vs Multicharts

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by saatfj, Sep 11, 2008.

1. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

I don't know since I don't use Multicharts, but it would be weird if they don't have at least false stop orders, which are market orders sent when the level is reached.

Real stop orders are like limit orders and entered in the exchange platform ( globex for example ) to get filled as soon as the first transaction is made on the stop level. When I was using TS automation, stop orders were false one.

#11     Sep 12, 2008
  2. sevensa

sevensa

And if you look at their forum, you will see that MC cannot plot volume bars correctly, they miss plotting bars randomly, their charts lag price severely...

MC is still nothing but a beta version who is still trying to get basic charting correct. Do not be fooled by all the features listed on their website. The moment they implement something, they list it as being available on their website, regardless if it is full of bugs and unusable. Once a feature is working about 50% they move on to a new feature and when you ask them to fix bugs in the previous features, they tell you that the new feature they are working on has priority and that they will fix the bug in one of the future releases. Some of these bugs which will be fixed in the"future releases" has been around for years.

If you use MC, you need to use it with the mindset that you are using a Beta product because this is what it really is.

#12     Sep 12, 2008
  3. Baywolf

Baywolf

Interesting. TS seems to work exactly the opposite way. They rarely introduce new features. Check the TS forum, you will see that features have been requested for years and not been answered. (> two years is unacceptable IMHO) I might like to think the reason for this is because they focus more on stability versus features. Then again, easyLanguage is an inferior language for system development. They would need to rehaul it to do the things I want.

#13     Sep 12, 2008
  4. sevensa

sevensa

Well, their "new features" is still just to catch up with TS. Like their MarketScanner which they have recently introduced which is their version of Radarscreen.

I am not against them introducing new features, but surely they should have basic charting under control before introducing things like autotrading and MarketScanner.

They also had several issues with their backtesting results which was inaccurate; especially their drawdown calculations. They do claim to have this fixed now in the latest beta release and only did so after they denied that it was wrong for months and only admitted it being an issue after much pressure was put on them here and on their forum.

What good is Autotrading if the system is based on inaccurate backtesting results and charts? Unfortunately, they just doesn't understand that a solid foundation is important before you build the rest of the house. They rather focus their attention and resources to paint the house instead of fixing the cracks in the foundation.

#14     Sep 12, 2008
  5. Aok

Aok

Yes.

TS still has the edge over MC for one reason: seamless integration.

But I dont believe that TS will ever have anything but cosmetic upgrades to the platform. Until MC has a few more rubles in their pocket, they will continue to make TS "innovation" look like 1st graders.

If you dont trade/look at multiple symbols then MC has the advantage.

MC needs to focus on bug killing and basic feature reliability now, instead of more bells and whistles.

I like both but just wish I could take the best of each with C# instead of EL

#15     Sep 12, 2008