Tradestation or Metastock

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Sam Mcgee, Nov 2, 2003.

1. I mentioned it somehwere else, but you might want to try WLD3 (more infro here: http://www.wealth-lab.com/cgi-bin/WealthLab.DLL/getpage?page=WLD3.htm

Just as MS it has drag and drop indicators, real time data and so on. Needless to say that WL has many more features that MS (or any other software) do not have.

#31     Nov 8, 2003
  2. samaras

samaras

Just to let you know that the desktop version of WL is really very powerful. I gave up on NeoTicker and TS. I am evaluating WLD3 since 3 days and will keep you posted.

#32     Nov 9, 2003
  3. ...I am a voice crying in the wilderness. Consider E-Signal's strategy development and backtesting language. It allegedly will be fully automated to tradewith IB early next year. If you can conceive of it, you can code it. Plus, if you have any coding background, since it is Java based, the logic flow looks like REAL code. I love it, have been using it nearly two years.

#33     Nov 9, 2003

4. I am presently with eSignal and I was getting worried reading the other posts here that I had chosen something so "out of the mainstream" for coding/backtesting that I needed to explore something new quickly. The JavaScript is not too difficult to follow and there is an abudant supply of code located on their website bulletin board. I do have an issue with the amount of data available to backtest intraday systems though. Any thoughts?

#34     Nov 9, 2003
  5. Chuck_T

Chuck_T eSignal

#35     Nov 9, 2003
  6. I always tell people if you are happy and succesful then dont change it! If you are looking for something new, then I am convinced WL is the way to go. Why? Because it does not stop where the other software stop, at the portfolio level backtesting with real money management. Take a look at this discussion:
    http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24053&perpage=6&pagenumber=5
    and see how the system and money management is set up. That is the simple stuff of WL (because even I can do it) - but the other software can not test (and/or automatically trade) like this.
    As long as you make money... :)

#36     Nov 9, 2003
  7. ...the e-Signal thread in Software says more intraday data is coming in the next release in a few weeks. Beware, however, more is not necessarily better. A sample size so large that it produces more than about 60 trades invalidates the simple statistical significance tests like Z-score, and may have you optimizing on data with outdated volatility. For my intraday systems I will continue to use about 60 days, only going to longer histories to get enough data for those systems which trade less than 20-30 times in 60 days.

#37     Nov 9, 2003
  8. ...I have a major hard-on that won't go away for fully automated trading with IB inside the E-Signal platform. What's the latest on that, if you can say, please? If not IB, will it be another brokerage partner? Thanks. - Mike

#38     Nov 9, 2003