TradeStation - give me the real picture

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by journeyman, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Surdo

Surdo

I have very few issues with TradeStation. I use 8.2 because 8.3 has memory issues. This past week I got logged off 2 x for a second, but the prior 3 weeks had no problems. ANY data provider is going to have an occasional burp. I am not a shill for TS and have posted plenty of problems in the past.

If you are a crazy in/out all day scalper TS is not for you, if you make 5 - 10 trades a day, you should be fine, I love the charts, and the price can not be beat for the chart quality. (I have another broker as well for execution.)

surdo

PS:

I have been a TS customer since 2002, wanna talk about issues!

#31     Jun 28, 2008
  2. tortoise

tortoise

Fair enough. Long ago, I stopped paying attention to the matrix, as I found it -- I don't know any other word for this -- gummy in its responsiveness. But I was referring to TradeStation's charting data, which I have found to be, surprisingly, spotless.

Once again, though, I don't know why anyone would use TradeStation's charts when a vastly superior EL option (MultiCharts) is out there.

#32     Jun 28, 2008
  3. Wow, lot of negativity towards TS here. Some seem to like it plenty. Is there anyone in between? Seems like you love it or hate it.

Like I said I use it and like it. It has plenty of great features. I don't scalp hundreds of times a day, I usually do one to maybe a handful of trades in a single day. So far so good, seems to be working out just fine for me.

My opinion is if you are thinking about trying TS, then there is probably a reason. maybe you like the charts, the functionality, the automated features, etc. If thats true, just try it. Thats the only way to know if its right for you.

I know my trading improved drastically when I stopped listening to the opinions of others and did what I wanted to do. This is the same. Get a few comments, maybe you will find a specific problem you cannot live with, or a function that does not exist on TS, then you can happily chose not to use it. But if you are drawn to it for some reason, try it out.

#33     Jun 28, 2008
  4. Tums

Tums

That's the normal appearance of a forum -- there are lots of people in between, but they usually don't post... that's why you seldom hear their voices.

#34     Jun 28, 2008
  5. HEY YOU F.............LOSER...........I HAVE ACTUALLY BEEN A TRDESTATION CUSTOMER ( NO LONGER) AND I JUST LOVE LOOKING FOWARD TO READING THREADS LIKE THIS ONE CAUSE IT JUST REMINDS ME THAT THE WELL WILL NEVER RUN DRY FOR GRABBING CONSISTENT STEADY MONEY OUT OF THE MARKET FROM "THE SHEEP GOING TO SLAUGHTER".HAVE FUN WITH THAT MICKEY MOUSE BROKER TRADESTATION........

#35     Jun 28, 2008
  6. hey Tums,
    that's exactly what I mean...
    you get these guys who are really pissed for what ever reason but hardly anyone gives an even rational appraisal of the pros/cons. it would be nice to hear those voices you are referring to... thanks to those of you in this thread who have...

#36     Jun 28, 2008
  7. I think one of the most powerful features of tradestation is the data maintenance they do, especially for futures, for that alone I think they are worth the price of admission.

If you are an intraday swing trader, securities trader, swing trader then TS is more than adequate if you are an aggressive scalper you are better with something else since you won't be as dependent on past data maintenance. However, how many manic scalpers are really that successful in this business ? Something to consider.

Bottomline is that it's hard to get the best of both worlds in one package.

Incognito

#37     Jun 28, 2008
  8. Surdo

Surdo

They offer a FREE month and simulator, try it out and see how it works, if it sucks cancel!

I have had issues with just about every broker/data provider.
    TS has the best charts IMHO unless you wanna pay up for CQG.

surdo

#38     Jun 28, 2008
  9. Surdo,

I tend to agree except for the fact that Tradestation cannot do:

- Range Bars
    - Second charts (5,15,30)
    - No true constant volume bars

At this stage, a little embarrasing for a charting package.

Incognito

#39     Jun 28, 2008