TradeStation - give me the real picture

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by journeyman, Jun 27, 2008.

1. lindq

lindq

I wrote 2 emails to TradeStation this week, telling them that I'm considering moving some money to use their auto-trading platform.

I asked 3 questions regarding their platform and data feed that I needed answered to determine if my system was appropriate for TS.

I gave them my return email and my phone number. I have yet to hear from them.

6 months ago I called to talk to a rep, and asked what I thought were some pretty basic questions about their capabilities.

He couldn't answer my questions. Too complicated for him.

Enough said?

#11     Jun 27, 2008
  2. Glad to see this thread. Confirmed just now no ICE and not sure when they say? Hmm, may be a deal breaker I like ER2 a lot, hopefully the move to ICE will be smooth regardless of whether TS gets it or not.

#12     Jun 27, 2008
  3. TYtrader

TYtrader

I've used TS for a few years without any problems. Have no idea what all the complaining is about, as I have never had any problems whatsover with them. I trade short term intraday with their platform and it does the trick just fine for me.

#13     Jun 27, 2008
  4. lindq

lindq

Then possibly you can answer a couple questions, since I can't get a response from the folks at TS.

1. Can TS, in backtesting and trading, access a second instrument/symbol as part of a trading rule? For example, let's say I am backtesting/trading ES and want to access ER2 and include that as part of the rule.

2. Do you know if TS provides access to an instrument that tracks the premium to fair value of S&P futures? A few data providers have it, but the symbol varies among them.

3. Can you effectively limit the number of shares/contracts open at any one time, in order to avoid the potential of system errors entering errant trades?

4. Is there anything to prevent TS employees from accessing your trading strategy rules? Is this info held only on your system, or also on their servers?

Thanks.:)

#14     Jun 27, 2008
  5. TYtrader

TYtrader

Those are good questions for customer service. I'm reluctant to answer for them. Have you tried calling? Give them a shout on teh phone.

#15     Jun 27, 2008
  6. it is nice to hear from people actually using the system who are not displeased with it.

I heard the CPU hogging was mainly an optimization problem?

The Matrix order entry looks great, I think I could really make use of some of its features.

Anymore intraday futures traders out there who are smooth sailing on TradeStation I would love to hear more opinions.

#16     Jun 27, 2008
  7. The guy I spoke to yesterday John Naab, I think his name is, said no, strategy is local. I believe with MC they can see your strategy although I can't confirm this.

#17     Jun 27, 2008
  8. DonKee

DonKee

1) Yes
    2) Yes, you can create your own symbol for this
    3) Yes
    4) I believe all of your information is only held on your PC.

#18     Jun 27, 2008
  9. If you like data freezes, you will like TradeStation. If you like to click 3 times to move your stop to B/E you will like TradeStation. If you want to try their demo and see that it doesn't work right you will like TradeStation. If you like trading with volume charts that don't cap correctly you will like TradeStation. If you want to close your account and have it take over a month then you will like TradeStation. If you like an old, tired software company that hardly ever updates it's software you will like TradeStation. If you want to close your account because using their clunky Matrix is not to your liking so you don't trade to their expectations you can not have your money wired out, but only sent by check and that is after they keep ripping you off for data fees, then you will like TradeStation. If you like talking to a cuban lady that can hardly speak English to close your account and it takes 25 minutes to get it into her head you want to close your account then you will like TradeStation. If you try to minimize your trade management window and it disappears then you will like TradeStation. Same thing happens from time to time with other charts, ect.

Oh, and when you call and request to have your account closed they will then say you have to send in a fax with the same request. And when you do that and still nothing happens (account still isn't being closed) they will ask you to send in one again. In their emails, they say you can call OR fax, but they want you to do both TWICE to close your account. (I am still waiting for my check and it has been over a month.)

There are many more problems with TS that aren't coming to mind right now.

The only upside to them is their charts look pretty. Big deal.

#19     Jun 27, 2008
  10. Just received an email stating that TS received my letter of authorization to close my account but a check request was not submitted for the balance of my account. A new request has been submitted! Oh goody! They say it will arrive within 5 business days. Their stall tactics are beyond belief. I guess when everyone is running for the door it is hard to keep up with everyone.

The last one leaving TradeStation please turn out the lights.

#20     Jun 27, 2008