TradeStation for Futures Trading.

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by PJD, Dec 6, 2001.

1. PJD

PJD

I have used the TradeStation Software for equities...and think alott of it and receive great execution.

But on the Futures side they use a different execution platform...that is basicly a web page that pops up in the software. So you aren't using their order bar or account manager.

My question goes out to anyone with experience using this setup. How is it? Are there any problems or complaints...are executions as quick as the equities side?

I have been told that they are going to integrate the futures side here soon...but you know how that goes!!

Thanks for your help and advice and comments

P.J.

2. ddefina

ddefina

Sorry to piggyback your thread with a question, but does using Tradestation with equities allow you to automatically enter and exit hands free? Or is it just signals and you enter the orders manually? I don't want to pay $10-$15 per transaction, but if it was automated it might be worth it. Thanks.

3. WarEagle

WarEagle Moderator

TS uses a web-based interface for futures right now but I have read where they were looking at a possible integration with Pats API. I can't confirm that though.

As for automated trading, if your system gets a signal, it will load up the order for you but you still have to click a confirmation button. I spoke with a rep there that stated sometime next year they would offer a fully automated system...after they work out the "legal stuff" (his words, not mine). If anyone has experienced some of the support problems with the standalone TS software in the past they will understand why many long-time users are skeptical of letting TRAD handle their executions. While I like and use the software, knowing some of the quirky things that have happened in the past, I have a fear (perhaps unfounded) of going to the bathroom and coming back to find I'm long 50 contracts with the market tanking...

Since I don't really need full automation, I'll stick with my lower cost structure and faster execution (than their web interface).

Kirk

4. WarEagle,

You are so right. When I dropped TradeStation 2000i, after using previous versions for years, it was basically unusable for intraday trading. The thought of letting it put in automated orders is scary. I would be very wary of using the first release of anything these guys produce. They are heavy on marketing, light on support, in my experience.