Tradestation and PDT

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by azzie, Oct 20, 2002.

1. azzie

azzie

Does anybody know, whether there is a way to avoid a Pattern DT label at Tradestation?

They treat all the accounts as margin accounts, so even if I day traded on cash-only basis I would need to have the daily $25K on my account.

Thanks

2. But you can call TS and have them set the margin rate at 0 , 2x , or 4x. You'd still have the PDT rating but without the margin.

3. dereksas

dereksas

<Most brokers, Tradestation included, will not let you day trade absent the PDT rules (i.e. >3 in 5 days when under 25K) even if your account is a cash account. Datek used to let their cash accounts trade away, but I think they stopped doing that recently. Same with MyTrack. I do not personally know of any brokers who will let you escape PDT restrictions by using a cash account, but perhaps they are still out there...

--Derek

4. dereksas

dereksas

oops...I have no idea what happenned there...here's my whole reply again (hope it works this time)...

---------------

Most brokers, Tradestation included, will not let you day trade absent the PDT rules (i.e. greater than 3 in 5 days when under 25K) even if your account is a cash account. Datek used to let their cash accounts trade away, but I think they stopped doing that recently. Same with MyTrack. I do not personally know of any brokers who will let you escape PDT restrictions by using a cash account, but perhaps they are still out there...

--Derek

5. AMTD used to let you daytrade all day in a cash account too, but this merger w/Datek got AMTD's nuts in a wringer with the SEC so that's history.

6. Ninja

Ninja

Same with IB. No daytrading in cash accounts!

7. azzie

azzie

This not cool at all.

Seems every newbie-trader like me has to start with 35K - 40K immediately.

but thanks for the replies :)

8. Even to an experienced trader, having a 25k hard deck sucks. You have to have a few grand above that for drawdowns so your real minimum's closer to 30k.

Then to show you how much they want to protect you, they allow 4:1 margin; 2x as much rope to hang yourself by.