Tradestation alerts help

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by mktman, Jun 12, 2002.

1. mktman

mktman

Trying to setup an intraday high alert with TS6.
    Would like this alert to popup throughout the trading day as a new id high is made.
    Alert would have to be triggered off "high" column.
    Any suggestions how to do this?
    Says I need a value to do this.

Thx.

mktman

2. Kymar

Kymar

Sounds like you're trying to do it in a "Quotes" page - can't really be done on current TS6, unless you want to manually re-enter the "High" or "Low" each time it's hit (not likely)- was possible on RadarScreen, maybe under next upgrade of TS. Currently, the easiest alternative is to insert the "New High for Day" or "New Low for Day" show-me's on charts, format them to taste, and keep them open (in one or more separate workspaces as preferred).

3. mktman

mktman

Kymar:

Thx for the help.

mktman

4. mktman

mktman

Weird you can set alert for 52 week high but not id high.
    Dont make sense.

mktman

5. Kymar

Kymar

dunno... never even noticed you could set the Quotes page alert for 52-wk high, but it makes sense to me: the 52-wk high doesn't change over the course of the day, but setting and updating the intraday high or low requires relatively complex calculations incorporating and saving values drawn from the current day's action...

6. Try this as a function:

Vars: BarsBack (00),
    Loop (00),
    HiHi (00) ;
    For Loop = 1 to 53 begin
    If H > H [Loop] then Hihi = H else HiHi = H [Loop] ;
    end ;

if C > HiHi then Alert("New High")

51 Is a 52 period high (excluding current bar). You can use a higher number you've just got to remember to increase your MaxBarsBack buffer.
    This also assumes this is in an Indicator, ShowMe, PaintBar, Activity Bar, or Probability Map.

7. Kymar

Kymar

You must be a programmer or something...

If you want to get the highest high of the last n bars, you can just use the built-in Highest(High,[n]). If H > Highest(High,n)[1] then Alert... etc.

Different ways of getting the ID High, or other values, without having to reference a particular "n" value, have been discussed at length on other threads. mktman's question appears to relate specifically to Quote pages and columns - which are currently limited in what they'll accept inn the way of inputs and indicators.

8. mktman

mktman

Kymar:

Thought I'd let you know there is a way to be alerted to id highs on the quotes page. In the "Last" column I set the alert input to daily high(one word). Then uncheck disable alert once hit. Works fine.
    Just touch time to figure out.

:)

mktman

9. Kymar

Kymar

Wow... really? how'd you figure that out?

10. mktman

mktman

Kymar:

It was a struggle.
    ID highs are a necessary part of my trading style.
    So just kept messin with it.
    Noticed when I typed in an incorrect alert value then a popup window appeared alerting me that a value or expression was needed, expression like dailyhigh + dailyclose/2. Saw that and thought ??
    wonder if I could use dailyhigh as my input alert value?

Works fine testing it all afternoon.

:)

mktman

#10     Jun 13, 2002