Tradestation 9.1: Portfolio Maestro

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Wide Tailz, Feb 19, 2012.

1. It is amazing that you select a smal cap stock where a method works after numerous optimizations and you want me to take you seriously. I suspect you do not even know that the short positions your system executed and contribute to your hypothetical profits cannot be entered possibly in real trading due to the low price of the stock and unavailability of shares to short.

You are also fired due to your 25% or more drawdown in 2010 - 2011:)

I think you perceive trading as an arcade game. With this drawdown you would not make it as a professional. Before playing with naive tools like tradestation and OPTIMIZATION^n you should first understand what trading is all about. This is an advice to you. For your own good. I gain nothing from wasting my time with you.

Any form of optimization, whether backwards or forwards is cheating and only deceives naive users like you. TS users could not find systems that work and the tool they gave them deceives then after continuously optimizing the equity line. However, the problem with such systems is more fundamental and structural.

#41     Feb 23, 2012
  2. Thanks. Bwolinsky complained about my drawdowns, too. Now you see why portfolio maestro is important? This is a robust system that passed WFO with distinction, but too hard on health for the average investor.

....... which is why I aim to be independently wealthy, not employed by some firm.

:D

PS the system went long only. Incorrect assumptions are a big no-no in engineering. I'm sure they give them to you in advance, however, when you write code for rich traders......

#42     Feb 23, 2012
  3. #43     Feb 26, 2012
  4. <i>Everyone</i> on ET claims to be wealthy...

... but most are in fact unemployable...

#44     Feb 26, 2012
  5. Although the above is Off-Topic, it is definitely On-Target.
    Especially the latter...if you are a risk-taker, forget Corporate America.....man, you've got to be a "stay in line" soldier to get a professional job now-a-days in any large corporation. (Note: small ones are not hiring)
    Traders need not apply. You cannot "go back"....easily.

#45     Feb 26, 2012
  6. I'm an engineer, probably in the six figure range this year. If it wasn't already obvious, I'm in the process of setting up and proving out automated trend following systems to handle my retirement account, then possibly take on family and friends. I have a few people from past jobs who are interested in joining up. One just contacted me tonight. It's hard to fool engineers. But they can understand automated trend following. It's just a check valve.

I'm turning down engineering job offers at the moment.

I'm not sure if your comment was directed at me, but it felt like it.

Since we're all calling each others credibility into question, what do you do for a living?

#46     Feb 26, 2012
  7. What System are you using to handle your trend following strategy?

#47     Feb 27, 2012
  8. Just when I thought intradaybill had learned something (i.e. hoping he had gained a small amount of humility) I am again proven wrong...

Let's get some facts straight about bill, and then I'll provide some facts about myself.

1. Bill is not a professional trader.

2. Bill uses data mining to "find" systems. He perpetually posts links to pattern search engines that IMO are worthless. Think garbage in = garbage out if you have any experience in neural networks.

3. Bill has no track record to speak of.

4. Bill flames anyone who presents arguments supporting traditional trading systems.

5. Bill starts threads about risk of ruin and implies that ruin is guaranteed for any systemic trader.

6. Can bill once and for all please inform us what "trading is all about"?

Does this shed a light on bill's bias and motivation? I hope so because the post of his I quoted above is filled with such incorrect horseshit its depressing.

I use TradeStation. I think it's a good tool. I have my own custom software as well. TradeStation offers a lot for the money, and they're relatively stable. API's change, software needs to change. To say I should be doing everything custom is naive. I am a cheapskate AND WHY WOULD I REINVENT THE WHEEL BILL???

I also use Excel, C++ and Amibroker (which is also a good tool). I've been trading a long time. I have my professional licenses and I have a lengthy track record. I've posted a portion of my track record here on this site if anyone wants to look. I challenged bill to post his after he called me out on similar issues and.... guess what, nothing outta bill. Zilch.

Optimization is also fine if done right. Nothing wrong with a 25% historical drawdown if the rewards justify it.

Per the original topic, I haven't upgraded to 9.1 yet. I'm hearing there are some bugs per the TS forums. I'd prefer to wait until that gets worked out.

I have to ask though, Amibroker is a such a good product for portfolio backtesting, why would anyone want to pay 60/month for Portfolio Maestro?

Mike

#48     Feb 27, 2012
  9. aliray79

aliray79

Am with you on the optimisation but saying that a 25% drawdown means you wouldn't make it is an odd thing to say when you look at the records of most of the great trend-followers out there....many of them double this (i.e. Bill Dunn). Drawdowns are an inevitable part of trading

#49     Feb 27, 2012
  10. Beebers

Beebers

--------------------------------------------------

Tradestation software is very nice but it's sort of backward.. I tried automating with TS8, the script couldn't get very much info from the brokerage at all, in fact it drove me towards using market orders and I didn't want to do that, moved the account. They wrote the software and owned the brokerage and the script still could not get much info.. besides, Easy Language takes a lot longer to write things with than C++ does once you get over the learning curve... I would not be surprised if AMIBroker's portfolio tester is much more intelligently put together than Tradestation's based on my past experiences.. I loved that Radarscreen though, could use Excel to give me my trading universe on the weekends and copy/paste a thousand symbols into the Radarscreen and it would be up and working really hard for me in just a minute..

How does AMIBroker's scanner compare to Radarscreen? Could one write some .dlls and trade directly from the scanner? That was doable with TS2000 and probably with TS8...

--------------------------------------------------------

I had Amibroker programmed to scan the markets at regular intervals, and when it found a trade, to send me an email with details - to my cellphone. Then I would enter the trade.
    Very cool.
    And that was several years ago.

#50     Feb 27, 2012